News:

Zatikon is back and free to play! https://www.chroniclogic.com/zatikon.htm

Main Menu

Ranking system

Started by garcia1000, November 01, 2008, 06:11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garcia1000

How about showing the ranking points like before? I don't see anything wrong with the previous system.

mongolian

The main reason I haven't become rated is I am enjoying looking like a noob.

There is an alternative: LEVEL..  Everyone would have a level and an experience meter to show you how along you are on that level.  This way, I know that when I fight against a LVL.8 player..I know what to expect.  The other thing that I've seen in another game is something like the top 12 players (that are ONLY RANKED/RATED) can get #1 - #15 avatar.  That way you can show off your a top player, on top of being a LVL.8 or whatever.  +/- You would still obviously have the top 20/top50 list.

Chronic Logic - Josiah

I like both both of mongolian's ideas, those could both be very interesting.  We are trying to figure out a new ranking system that will not be like the old system but will give more details to how far away you are from the other ranked players.  Feel free to post any ideas!

mongolian

This goes against my own desires, but the competitive players seem to be a minority on this game.  The focus of majority with a point system needs to focus on a hidden system.   On the otherhand, It's a very bad idea the current ranking system as if you play long enough, you realise there are only a few ranked which is a bad advertisement for this game.

mongolian

So I thought of a couple neat things that I have remembered.  Here is a combination of thoughts that might help promote a nice system.

If you want to keep a hidden rating system and combined with the fact that most people want to be non-competitive (but its crucial to keep some kind of system available):

Create a system where if two players have a difference of +300 pts, that game will be considered unrated.  It's up you if you want to show that the game will visually display the game as rated or non-rated.

I really appreciate playing competively, but there is a large enjoyable factor playing games, goofing off and not having to worry if I lose points or not. Just some food for thoughts.

mongolian

After, alot more thought on the topic of the Rank system.  I'd like to understand some perspectives:

I would have to say that most people are probablly here for unrated as coop/2v2 seems to be the grunt of stuff, but it could be almost 50/50%. The other half is playing to win alla rated games via 80% random, 20% constructed.  So returning rank to rating is a delicate system if 50% of your audience won't use it for the most part.  Being in the shoes of a new player, losing to another player is very intimidating if not destructive to the player community.  Hence forth, most people stick to fighting a computer as you don't have to be intimidated if your any good, nor have to be any good to play a low level single player.

The solution of any point system must weigh heavily making people not feel bad if they lose.  In this case, what is worse, saying your rank 2528 or rating 1108(when average is 1600).  In both instances the low rated player is going to feel bad losing and is going to be intimidated playing. If, on the other hand, all rating was associated with a level, things could be different.

A cap on points won, or conversely, the least amount of points a player could be lost (say never go below XXXX points).  How this can be done is all through a level system.  Level is another hidden rating system, but the lowest level a new player or a bad player could be is Level 1.   This also should mean, there is a cap on how low that individual rating can go.  Also, you could convert the top 10 players into special avatars in addition to displaying avatars so those that are playing for rating to give them something special.  with still using a hidden rating system, but allocate to show which ones are still the top 10. 

Yohan

After one day, I must conclude the ranking system is strange.  Played a few PvP games and ranking hovers around the default 195.  Lose one battle to player ranked number 1 and you go to 2,000.  Kinda looses the meaning at that point.  Wonder if you can ever recover from something like that.

zatikon

It's all relative to other ranks, so you're hovering around that point where all the people with a default score lurk. If you win one game, you'll shoot right back up.

Yohan

Thanks.  Just noticed that.  Won one match and went to around 200.  Guess I need to stay away from those with really low rankings?  Mongolian will give you one chance for a draw.  But, you better see it and take it.

paulb84

With a public rating system, I'd use some simple form of chess/magic ELO rating.

The main thing for competitiveness is that you gain and lose rating according to whom you play.

If I play a newbie, I should lose more points when I lose and gain less when I win. And vice versa. If the rating is based on a set number of points (or with only minor variation) and the points gained per match are fairly low, you're actually using a rating system that rewards the most playing players. ie if I want to go from rank 200 to 20 I'd win 10-20 times, but from 10 to 1 I'd have to win hundreds (or?).

The point about dropping to 2000+ when losing one match is valid, I'd just make a ranked top100 or so and the rest displaying "low" "new" or zero.

Kran

I think the ELO rating system is the best too. but it will need some modification in 2x2

Kran

and i think it need to be upgraded to something like: you start with 1200 points.
The Elo "K" should be something like 50 for normal players and 30 for games with top 20. For the begginers, each time you play a rated game, no matter if you win or loose, you get 15 extra points. The player can stop being a begginer after 20 rated matches.
That would make the begginers do not desanimate with the fast decline of the rating, like happen in games of chess, and do not make begginers start with the same points as intermediate player that have 1500 points. Just an idea... 8)

mongolian

I like the idea giving new players points even if they lose, but the only way it will help is if top players can't take advantage of that too.  Cause It's a bit of a stretch.

I'm a bit star struck at the current rating system too.  I was #1, and lost 1 game to the #3 and I dropped to the #2 position.  Fine, no big deal.  So i played and won 2 more games against the #3 and I was still at #2?!?!?  I'm sorry, but that formula is not correct if this is happening.

Similiar ratings should be recieving a very close point won/lose.

Chronic Logic - Josiah

I agree, the win/lose vs. very closely ranked players is one thing that needs to be updated in the ranking system.

mongolian

After finally learning how rating really works, I'm a bit upset.  Rating is currently completely rigged to benefit players who play alot of games.  Ex: If I am #9, #10 is the same as seed #3000.  Both get the same points, very fair huh?

The worst part of the current system is it's not making it enjoyable to play.  I know many many top 20 players that are far better then the players above them.  But simply because they don't play enough, they will never be a higher rated player. 

Please bring back a sliding scale point system.