News:

Zatikon is back and free to play! https://www.chroniclogic.com/zatikon.htm

Main Menu

I dont understand the philosophy

Started by NozeM, February 03, 2009, 08:37:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NozeM

I'm sory but I lost the meaning of this great game.
In my opinion you first make a good basic game without bugs and think well about changing an unit.
Every update it becomes wurs, more units, more wrong changings and more bugs.

The assassin is the limit for me, I'm sry for the great effort but I quit with this kind of creating a game.
It frust me a lot because I think the balance is gone with this kind of development.

Edit:
Really, I think this game is 1 of the best in basic but it lost the connection in my opinion.

Chronic Logic - Josiah

The idea behind introducing new units or revamping is they need to be good enough for people to use them to get a feel for balancing them.  So new units or major changes tend to be on the powerful side at first so we can see them in action and then re-balance them if needed.  The bugs in the latest update are because of some major changes to the core of the game to allow for more changes down the road and introducing new systems such as the invite system.  They will be fixed soon and the game should be much more stable after that.  

In a perfect world we would have all the features in the game initially and all the units balanced but many of the changes we add are in response to player requests and other ideas that develop as the players develop and play the game.  Glad to hear you enjoyed the game and hope you come back when the bugs are fixed.

NozeM

I am to addicted to quick right now.  http://www.pontifex2.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif" border="0" valign="absmiddle" alt=':p'>
But I wanted to make a statement!

Plz, correct the changes of the Assassin en focus on the bugs. Make first a proposal in our forum before we make change to other units to discuss the consistency.

Lets try to balance the existing units before creating new ones.

Shortly priority:
Fix the major unbalanced units.
Focus on bugs.
Discuss overall balance of units.
Discuss new units.

The more units we got, the more difficult it becomes to get an overall balance.

minime

I see the changes as a good thing. All the units with new abilities are fun to play. The knight, the warrior, and yes the assassin http://www.pontifex2.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif" border="0" valign="absmiddle" alt=':)'> I dont know if the assassin is too strong, but at least it is an interesting ability and not a boring one. I like the game won and lost by the assassin. It is a tricky unit http://www.pontifex2.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif" border="0" valign="absmiddle" alt=':)'> Maybe we just have to learn to play against the assassin(or just need to make it more expensive).

Chronic Logic - Josiah

It will probably end up being a bit more expensive because it is powerful

roxo

the assassin is too powerful for a 100... look at the other 100 pointers... swords man, crossbowman, dopple, lycan, cavalry and so on... it has its disadvantages though.

mongolian

Assassin at $150 will make the game fair.

roxo

evn at  200 its still playable i think

mongolian

What I don't appreciate about units like assassin is you can not defend/attack against them.  There is just no strategy in playing this game IF another "assassin" like unit gets added to the game.  

Should this game be more like tactical chess or random Battleship/Poker?

minime

what about that, if assassin could use its kill ability only once in a turn? the cost would stay at 100. If it wasn't able to kill 2 or 3 units after the stun, it wouldn't be that devastating.
an other option: you could deploy the assassin only on the second half of the field(on the opponent's half of the field). The reason(I speak about random here): in most of the games where the assassin is too strong it is used as a defensive unit. This way you wasn't able to use it in defense.

I think that the randomness in poker is great. It gives enough success to the bad and medium players, they don't quit from the game. So maybe some randomness is OK here too. (though zatikon has the cooperative format and the invited games, where non-competitive players can find their games)

btw we should start a constructed league http://www.pontifex2.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif" border="0" valign="absmiddle" alt=':)'> anyone could register here in the forum with an army, and have a month to play the games against the other players (3 wins needed). I don't know if a magic the gathering like sideboard is needed(i think it isnt). We could start it in march.

zatikon

If there's enough interest, I could develop a tournament system in-game.

mongolian

Whether a tournament mode or just a new type of mode of playing:

(1) Players both choose from the same selection of units.  They will each get the following:
Every option has 2 random units assigned, players choose:
- 1x of a 350 or 300 pt unit
- 2x of a 200 or 250 pt units
- 2x of a 100 or 150 pt units
- 2-4x of 50pt units.

mongolian

More about assassin:
- yes, if assassin could only kill 1 unit a turn would solve the problem.  I might even go further and say he is stuned after kill, but it would be pretty irrelevant, but easier way to coder.
- No, assassin works best in the offensive 1/2 of the board, not defensive.  Either way, limitations on summons is not solving the problem.

Option#3, assassin must assassinate the unit it brings into play.  This is more then making up for his ability, perhaps too much.

Options#4, when assassin comes into play, he must return 2-3 squares in the path of the unit that was stunned.

Option#5, when assassin comes into play it does not stun, but comes into play stunned.  It will make a random automatic kill though. (includes allies)..if this is too powerful, it can always default to assassiniate any or all neighboring allies.

roxo

or how about for random and constructed just play ur deck first game and play wht ur opponent had second game... that would solve a lot of constructed/random probs.

roxo

o and mayb a third game, whr both players use the SAME random army, so i guese it would b a whole new game type wouldn't it with three.