News:

Zatikon is back and free to play! https://www.chroniclogic.com/zatikon.htm

Main Menu

New Units Ideas

Started by Kran, April 23, 2009, 12:41:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jezebeau

Now the illusionist is a range 7 (8 with serg) stun explosion on the only mage that can move and act in the same turn.  "Vanish" is kinda pointless when you can use them the same turn.  The whole spectre thing is either an overpowered and overranged once a turn attack, or it's an excuse to try to save up mage attacks so you can do more than one a turn.

How about this for the spectre:

Name: Spectre
Actions: 2
Life: 1
Intangible. Cant capture castle.
Inorganic.  Immune to skills and spells.
Move to target location. 1 range. Cost 1 action.
Stuns enemy when attacked, self destructs.
Stuns units within explosion.  0 range.  Cost 1 action, self destructs.

Now it's significantly more able to be dealt with, but it still costs the enemy to do it.  Since this is a more passive ability, maybe make the entertainment ability start automatically at the beginning of the turn.

------------------------------------
Taunter is a solid melee unit with more than 50 points worth of stats and an ability with an unquantifiable range.  I think it needs to be cheaper, more vulnerable, with a shorter range.  It's explicitly designed to let melee range units advance to destroy ranged units, so to be strategically fair it needs to either be a one shot or be supported by protective units to survive.

glunkr

I have a few new unit ideas.

First, to take the place of the old sergeant:

Name: Disciple
Class: Clergy
Cost: 100

Life: 3
Power: 2
Deploy: 2 or 3

Move to target location. 1 range. Costs 1 action.
Attack enemy unit. Anywhere within 2. Costs 1 action.
Trade places with ally unit. 1 range. Costs 1 action.

The Disciple is meant to help mages across the screen. It is definitely less helpful that the old sergeant but I think it fills a gap and could still be quite useful.

Name: Bog Skeleton
Class: Nature (for lack of a better classification)
Cost: 150

Actions: 3
Life: 4
Power: 4
Armor: 1
Deploy: 3

Move to target location. 1 range. Costs 1 action.
Attack enemy unit. 1 Range. Costs 1 action.
When Bog Skeleton dies, it is replaced by a Boneyard.

Name: Boneyard
Actions: 1
Armor: 2

Create Bog Skeleton. Range 0. Costs 1 action, sacrifice Boneyard.

The bog skeleton is the Zatikon version of a regenerating unit. Fun, fun!

One more....

Name: Trebuchet
Class: Siege
Cost: 200

Armor: 1
Deploy: 3 or 4.

Barrage: Costs 1 action. Anywhere within 6. Choose a location. At the beginning of your next turn, any unit on the target square is destroyed.

The trebuchet employs "delayed damage" and I think it's a cool mechanic. Plus, siege really needs a new unit.

Lunaraia

Hey Glunkr since you lack a classification to place those units, why don't ya place em in my thread about undead units, would fit like a glove... would have to change the Bonyards name though since i already used it XD, how about pile o' bones or Bog Bones, trebuchet seems ok, but if u forget where u marked the area and move into it yourself well seems a little unpredictable all in all, but interesting non the less, also aout the spectre, I have made a unit with that name already... I think... anyways no matter really, different thread and all
Bad guys are no problem when you're an asshole yourself

Jezebeau

I like bog skeleton and disciple, but trebuchet is a "haha no mage/siege engine for you" button, particularly in the case of the siege weapon where if you keep firing at a catapult or ballista, it has no alternative but to keep moving or trade kills because no ally can move inorgs.  Perhaps if it was cheaper, but both targeting and the triggered firing cost an action, so it could only be used every other turn and couldn't totally shut down a unit that can't move and act in the same turn at 6 range?

Kran

Honestly, the disciple makes the same as the old sergeant, and adds overrange to balanced units, such as mages. I am trying to make a trebutchet LONG time man, you have no idea how its hard. This one is to much RPS and Anti-mage. Bog skeletons are fun. I was thinking some days ago about regenerating units, i created a Fenix, but that was to much hard to make balanced. Looks good, congratz. I had the same idea about delayed damage, but i wasn't able to make an unit using it ^^.

Kran

Name: Cathedral
Class: Structures
Cost: 550$

Life: 5/5
Armour: 2
Deploy: 4 (2 range)

Influence. Convert all surrounding units. Tiggers in deploy.
Intercession. Cost 1 action. Until the beggining of your next turn, second attack performed by each ally will not cost this unit action points.
Create a Armed Monk. Cost 1 action.

Name: Armed Monk

Life: 5
Power: 3
Armour: 1

Whirlwind. Attack all enemyes in range. Tigger on every attack.
Move to target location. 1 range.
Attack enemy unit. Anywhere within 2. Dont tigger at range 1.
Heal target ally. 1 range. Cost 2 actions.

Jezebeau

But the disciple isn't really like the old sergeant.  It's more expensive, can only move a unit two spaces every three turns, has to compromise its relative positioning to do so, and is in no way a viable combat unit.

Jezebeau

What do "don't trigger at range 1" and "entire army can perform the second attack for no cost of actions" mean?

Kran

well, the disciple is ok. Second attack cost no actions means that if i have an general, for an example. I can move it twice and then attack twice, cuz the second attack will cost the general no actions. Or i can move one and attack 3 times. That increase the attack rate without add to the overrange. That aplyes to each allied unit, so, if enought commands. Sorry for not being clear. Dont tigger at range one means that the armed monk is unable to attack in range 1, just in range 2. So if enemy is in range 1, you should move back then attack. I was going to make monk 4 power, but intercession with monk would make it overpowered. In intercession, if i attack with a unit, i cant perform free attack with another one. Second attack aplyes to each allyed. I will edit it now, to make it clearer.

Kran

You could make it 50$, stun traded allies and add it a heal or one more action point. We dont wanna overranged mages.

glunkr

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I am not going to modify my original units since my intent isn't to create a totally balanced unit, but to give the developers some possible inspiration.

That being said, I do think the trebuchet is overpowering to units with only one action. Perhaps a way to make it more fair is to reveal the target you picked to your opponent if you target an occupied square. If you target an empty square, then it remains a secret.

Also, I think paying 200 for something that works as a potential anti-mage/siege/tower is justified since it will do absolutely no good hitting anything else. It can't even defend against someone standing right next to it like that catapult can, which is a big disadvantage.

@Lunaraia: Yes, undead would suit my Skeleton perfectly. But since it is not a valid unit type at this time, I decided to not use it.

Lumen

I actually think the Illusionist is pretty clever.  The specters being destructible on moving into or through their square is a great mechanic that forces an opponent to do something that he might not want to do to get rid of a significant threat.  I definitely think specters should be destroyed when they burst in a stun effect.  With a jumping 3 range, the specters are range 4, which means the illusionist is a range 5 stun burst (which requires 3 commands, mind you).  It doesn't seem so terribly broken to me, but definitely would require someone to change the way they approach the rest of that match.

Kran

@glunkr Good. The illusionist is not balanced, the idea is to promote moving-to-unit-space-to-kill-it.
About the cathedral, the idea is to promote *second attack cost no actions, and promote things like attack cant be performed at range 1.

@lumen yep. If something like that be released, it need lots of corrections to make it balanced.

Jezebeau

@glunkr: It should absolutely show the targeted square whether or not it's occupied.  Otherwise, it means "move every unit within 6 of the trebuchet each turn or one dies".  It doesn't need to be a mage/siege killer because, beyond that, it has other uses.  Target the obvious arrival point of a cavalry, or that corner where an archer might move down, horizontally outside a mage's range, and get a shot off.  If there's an opening you don't want your opponent to exploit, you can pretty much declare that it's raining golems if they take advantage of it.  I think it would be a great unit at range 5.

Kran

I like maybe not allow to select ocuppied squares. Maybe 50$ then and another name, maybe like a magekind.