News:

Zatikon is back and free to play! https://www.chroniclogic.com/zatikon.htm

Main Menu

Unit Change Log (balancing the game)

Started by mongolian, April 24, 2009, 02:05:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongolian

Discuss in this thread units and strategies that are spoiling the game as they are too powerful.   

mongolian

Right now, there are a few units that stick out in my head that really make it not fun to play because it either (1) one player has more range then the other because of a unit or (2) because there are specific units that can't be defended against due to specific combo strategies:

(1) Sergeant
----------------------------------------
He hads +1 range to all units.  Where is most unfair is with the $350 sorcrers, like giving an enchanter-witch-warlock +1 range that it doesn't need!  And not only that, it also makes it impossable to defend as that piece can move in a multude of ways and it just can't be defended.

Possable Solutions: - I would really like to see this unit removed all together and replaced with another idea.  If Zatikon becomes a game about range, it has failed.  What it could be is it (a) swaps positions with unit within 1 or (b) pushes piece sidewise or backwards 1 (not forward or diagonal).

(2) Wizard
Wizard is just a big no-no.  Again, he is adding to the overpowered range game.  That and swapping himself with an ally unit is pretty powerful.

Possable Solutions: - One of the best fixes would be to remove his ability to make any ranged unit fly.  This would make him fair as it would not add to the range problem and finally be worth his $350.  Not as good, but another solution would be reducing ranged units fly ability to 1 (currently 2).  Again, i'm not a fan of it.  I do think that the wizard's "swap" should only be able to occur with enemy units too.  If the wizard got downgraded enough, you could pump back his attack range to 4.

(3) Artificer
The Artificer is actually not a bad unit.  In fact, it really helps give the game more depth.  But without more anti-inorganic units, the game has become too rock-paper-scissors with units like this.  Why?  Because players can seek out combo units like artficer-changeling and there is nothing you can do about it cause changeling has range 6 and you won't ever be getting your piece you swapped back.

Possable Solutions: - I actually think the Artificer could be reduced to $300, but it's not the artificer that needs to be changed.  Zatikon needs a few anti-inorganic units.  Bringing back the old school engineer would help, but why not just make plain vinalla soldiers that get +2 or +3 power bonus against inorganics?  Again, we would need to see 2-3 units added to the list to help combat inorganics

(4) Changeling
Did you ever wonder why the AI, doesn't get to use units you "swap" with the same turn unlike players?  It's because Changeling is way too powerful for it's cost.  He isn't an issue of cost much as the fact he is one of the few units in the game that has range 6.  With so few range 6 attacks, it makes an automatic swap without being able to defend it.  The other problem with the changeling is I can't tell you how annoying it is to constantly keep swaping the same unit back and forth each turn.  That part isn't overpowerful, but it kind of spoils the fun of playing.

Possable Solutions: - There are two obvious solutions that come to mind here.  (1) Just reduce his swap range to 5 or (2) After swap, unit swapped is also stunned and can not be swapped back until 1 full turn. 

(5) Alchemist
$350 Alchemist with $50 riders that have the biggest range in the game, 7 with rocks.  Which part of multiple $50 riders with rocks with 1 alcoylte protecting against a tower/pike are you going to overcome?  Yes, 7 range rocks are just not fair. Rocks are the main issue here even despite rider-druid-alchemist can keep making love potions. Atleast that is slow and a bit  defendable.

Possable Solutions: - Change "Strength Potion into, unit gets "barbarian's effect" or simply, it could give unit +2 power

Kran

Seargent. I like it this way, but i liked the solutions offered by mongolian too.

Wizard. Nice idea. The wizard is funny making units fly but that remove part of the strategy behind each piece.

Artificer. It worth 350$. If many anti-innorganic units be created, it will become useless.

Changeling. I see no problem with it, but change range to 5 is a good idea. but honestly i dont like the second solution. And the unit changing side and changing side is very fun. but i have an idea to it. make the changeling reset to its inicial stats (like the druid do, but with no stun) anyunit that has changed team. But it should incluide non-genuine innorganic units too. (the ones was transformed by the artificer) and this can make the unit a bit complex for begginers to understand.

Alchemist. Both solutions are still very powerfull to riders. I like the second one, but the effect must pass after some turns. About the Druid+Alchemist, this is perfectly fair to the game strategy and for a 550$ combo.

Lunaraia

About the changeling

TURN IT BACK TO HOW IT USED TO BE!!!!!

Honsetly as it is now it is near unkillable and in my opinion unfun to play against since it is only stashed with artificers theese days
Bad guys are no problem when you're an asshole yourself

xsherlock

lunaria is right , it should be vunerable right after the swap

Lunaraia

if you absolutely want to do something about the changeling then just cause both the changeling and the changelinged unit to be stunned, that way swaps don't go overboard
Bad guys are no problem when you're an asshole yourself

Chronic Logic - Josiah

Quote from: mongolian on April 24, 2009, 02:44:49 PM
(1) Sergeant
He hads +1 range to all units.  Where is most unfair is with the $350 sorcrers, like giving an enchanter-witch-warlock +1 range that it doesn't need!  And not only that, it also makes it impossable to defend as that piece can move in a multude of ways and it just can't be defended.

Agreed, the Serg is going to be changed soon.

(2) Wizard
Wizard is just a big no-no.  Again, he is adding to the overpowered range game.  That and swapping himself with an ally unit is pretty powerful.

Possable Solutions: - One of the best fixes would be to remove his ability to make any ranged unit fly.  This would make him fair as it would not add to the range problem and finally be worth his $350.  Not as good, but another solution would be reducing ranged units fly ability to 1 (currently 2).  Again, i'm not a fan of it.  I do think that the wizard's "swap" should only be able to occur with enemy units too.  If the wizard got downgraded enough, you could pump back his attack range to 4.

Good ideas, the only fly melee units could be a last resort.  The swap with enemy units only would be a good fix I think.

(4) Changeling
Did you ever wonder why the AI, doesn't get to use units you "swap" with the same turn unlike players?  It's because Changeling is way too powerful for it's cost.  He isn't an issue of cost much as the fact he is one of the few units in the game that has range 6.  With so few range 6 attacks, it makes an automatic swap without being able to defend it.  The other problem with the changeling is I can't tell you how annoying it is to constantly keep swaping the same unit back and forth each turn.  That part isn't overpowerful, but it kind of spoils the fun of playing.

Possable Solutions: - There are two obvious solutions that come to mind here.  (1) Just reduce his swap range to 5 or (2) After swap, unit swapped is also stunned and can not be swapped back until 1 full turn. 

I think reducing his range to 5 would be a great solution.

(5) Alchemist
$350 Alchemist with $50 riders that have the biggest range in the game, 7 with rocks.  Which part of multiple $50 riders with rocks with 1 alcoylte protecting against a tower/pike are you going to overcome?  Yes, 7 range rocks are just not fair. Rocks are the main issue here even despite rider-druid-alchemist can keep making love potions. Atleast that is slow and a bit  defendable.

Possable Solutions: - Change "Strength Potion into, unit gets "barbarian's effect" or simply, it could give unit +2 power

Alchemist is in the process of being changed.  I think that Strength Potions that did a barbarian effect or +2 power would be cool.

Kran

I dont like wizard being able to trade places with enemyes only.

Jezebeau

Sergeant, I'll admit, is probably something I use too easily.  It's pretty much an automatic addition to any army that contains fragile ranged units.  What would people think of a significant increase - say, to 150 points - if linking didn't cost command?

For the wizard, what if fly was a one-use ability, like a potion, with improved mobility?  The unit would keep its normal move, for the most part, and could click to fly once to any within 2 (ranged) or any within 3 (melee).

Kran

What about if flying mounted dont loose its range, but just receive the ability to jump over enemyes?