Author Topic: To All Zatikon Players  (Read 38724 times)

xazn

• View Profile
To All Zatikon Players
« on: November 18, 2009, 01:55:27 PM »
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 01:07:32 PM by Chronic Logic - Josiah »

Norsker

• View Profile
Re: To All Zatikon Players
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 07:17:11 PM »
Regarding the idea of a tournament:

The basic structure of the tournament you suggested would likely be problematic, as there probably isn't a specific time when we can all play at once.  

My particular idea for a tournament would be this; during a 'registration' period, players select 1-3 constructed armies, which they will be locked into(On this note-the army archive in the mac version still crashes the game), for the tournament.  When the tournament begins, players will receive a number of tokens.  They can then click on a 'tournament mode' button, choose how many tokens they're wagering on that game.  Another player makes the same decision, with the smallest token gamble being accepted(By this, I mean that if player 1 is  willing to wager 3 tokens, and player 2 is only willing to wager 2 tokens, then both players can only win/lose 2 tokens.

The player with the most tokens at the end of the tournament period(month long periods, with a week in between for example) wins.  Of course, the tournament would need to be restricted to players who had bought at least one expansion, to prevent people from creating 'fake' accounts to gather up tokens.  It would probably also be ideal to implement some sort of 'cooldown' on playing the same player, or even for playing a tournament round against anyone(So that you can play a player perhaps twice during a tournament), so that people who play less aren't at a substantial disadvantage.

Oh, and a shiny border around our names/rank, a title before our chat, and a unit useable only in coop/single would be neat prizes.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 07:23:05 PM by Norsker »

Lunaraia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 09:01:14 PM »
The tournament is a great idea! as for strategy I wouldve love to handle  it but things are rather hectic at this time so I have to take a bow and exit the stage on that one, as for the tournament thingy, it would indeed be hard for people around the globe to be on at the exact same time, afterall what is a perfectly reasonably time for many might be in the middle of the night for others, as for prices, how about being allowed to name the next unit that you make?
Bad guys are no problem when you're an asshole yourself

Norsker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 11:06:51 AM »
I personally wouldn't mind seeing an identical random mode added(not as a replacement for the current mode), although I'm not sure I would play it-I personally prefer to occasionally lose a match because I got an unworkable draw than to have every high ranked game be a protracted stalemate.

If you did add such a mode, please remove dracolich from the possible units to draw.  Dracolich v. Dracolich is a game of reversi, since units can be resurrected indefinitely. I think I played an hour and a half long game against Unique when I drew dracolich, and he drew a mimic(I somehow won, but it just wasn't worth it).  There are other units that I could mention that would essentially drive players to click the 'draw' button, but the dracolich is the worst offender in that respect.

On a similar note, it would be nice if mason were a rarer draw in random-it also makes for very protracted game, and no unit shuts down so many other units for such a low unit cost.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 11:28:42 AM by Norsker »

Norsker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 11:33:57 AM »
as for prices, how about being allowed to name the next unit that you make?

If they implement a more 'campaign-style' single player/coop at some point, getting an opposing 'hero-unit' named after your in-game name would be neat.

sgainford

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 11:34:08 AM »
www.mychess.de  I think if you adopted a similar layout then Zatikon could move from being good to becoming great and could take over Chess.
>
>
> Anyway, a very good game you have created with huge potential and thank you very much for creating it. 
>
>
> Best Regards
>
> Sean Gainford

xazn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 01:27:01 PM »
These all sound like great ideas, I appreciate all of it, I finding that the google search idea is very good, it would be great if Zatikon came up first under those searches. Thanks all...hopefully more people will post or email with more feedback

Lunaraia

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 08:59:52 PM »
Another Idea would be a scenario Mode, where you and the oponent have units set out in a certain way and with restrictions of movement like cliffs and sutch, you know give the game a battlefield feel, and preset units there for the players to fight with, depending on the protection of you units you get different kinds, like archer on a cliss would be able to rain fire down on any meelee units that would be unable to retaliate since they are at the bottom of said cliff, and add forests and such that lower range of ranged units or hides enemies unitl you are next to them
Bad guys are no problem when you're an asshole yourself

mongolian

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 09:58:46 PM »
Before I get ideas, how do I become a blogger?  Are you providing a URL for us to blog, or you want us to create/set it all up via any particular blog site.

If you haven't guessed it by now, Zatikon's biggest problem is lack of players.  This means, the game needs to support more 1 player modes and less development on the 2v2 mode (despite how much I love it).  A simple way to do this is on top of the normal single player mode a new single player mode could be created: boss mode.  Boss mode could work in many ways, but the simplest is the mode ends when the 'boss' is dead.  Depending upon your level, the 'boss' would have multiple powers.  Also, boss mode should mean a different initial startup position from the AI.  Possably it starts out with all its units on the board or a much more limited # of units kinda deal and more structures possably.  If this idea is too much work to develop, try to make something more similiar to single player, but set it up as a new single/coop player mode.

Due to the fact too many units are uber powerful in the game, a mirror random mode would also help freshen up the game too.  Either way, it's clear the game needs another mode!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 10:08:10 PM by mongolian »

mongolian

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 10:07:38 PM »
Tournaments really seem like a note worthy idea, but I don't see much point due to lack of player pool.  Unless tournaments can all be self made inside the game, it's really too much to see player's setup matches.  If you want a SUPER easy way to setup your own tournaments, this site is free:
http://www.bracketmaker.com

Also, I think Zatikon could use more supportive things to help use your money with.  Things that help edit/cnhange your avatar.  See this game's model for reference: http://www.kongregate.com/games/urbansquall/battalion-arena

And now Marketing/Advertising.  The chess angle definately seems like a note worthy idea, but what are big name chess sites that would help let zatikon be advertised on?  Small numbers can help in readvertising on game sites like www.jayisgames.com and www.rockpapershotgun.com But, I suspect the big ways come from spending big budgets on things like yahoo mail/gmail advertising, other popular gaming sites like warcraft, and elsewise.  If someone really wanted to reach a big audience, I would also strongly reccomend sending people to gaming or animation like conventions with free CD's of zatikon on a disk.  It's a great way to spread awarement to a game.

sgainford

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2009, 04:47:54 AM »
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 10:27:14 AM by sgainford »

sgainford

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2009, 05:11:29 AM »
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 08:51:51 AM by sgainford »

Norsker

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2009, 11:06:47 AM »

Eliminating the time constraints is likely to alienate more people than it would draw in;  very few people actually enjoy sitting at their screen for ten minutes doing nothing while their opponent meticulously analyzes(and probably overanalyzes) everything. Back when I played in a chess club, even the most enthusiastic players would take out the timer, because they didn't feel like, or couldn't, play a very protracted game.  I'm also not enthusiastic about the potential being locked into a game when an opponent goes afk indefinitely. While I wouldn't protest a game mode where you can 'save' a game, uploading a move whenever you log in, 'email Zatikon' with a playerbase this size wouldn't work.  Having people in the chatroom when you first log into the game is a comfort, and creates a sense of community when you regularly interact in continuous time with other individuals.

It's pretty rare that I feel the time constraint is inhibiting;  I usually finish plays with 30 seconds or more left on the clock, and am not sure what I would do with the remainder.  The duration of my opponent's turn is perfectly adequate to develop a strategy.

mongolian

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2009, 12:10:52 PM »
Long time ago, I actually made a crucial reccomendation: Trainer mode.  Yes, this game is VERY OVERWHELMING.  I think it actually has a very negative effect on an average player's mind.  I don't know how to "dumb down" the game, but if there was a (1) good youtube like tutorial and (2) a mode of play where you could see how each piece moves, attacks and such.  In this mode, there would only be 1 piece on the entire board.  A testing zone.  Even after saying all this I feel I am underegagerating that this game needs to be more newbie friendly.  So it's a combination of

1. Cleaner/simpler GUI
2. Test zone to see how each piece moves/clicks
3. YouTube-like video tutorials
4. Other?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 02:48:53 PM by mongolian »

xazn

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2009, 12:35:09 PM »
Before I get ideas, how do I become a blogger?  Are you providing a URL for us to blog, or you want us to create/set it all up via any particular blog site.

If you haven't guessed it by now, Zatikon's biggest problem is lack of players.  This means, the game needs to support more 1 player modes and less development on the 2v2 mode (despite how much I love it).  A simple way to do this is on top of the normal single player mode a new single player mode could be created: boss mode.  Boss mode could work in many ways, but the simplest is the mode ends when the 'boss' is dead.  Depending upon your level, the 'boss' would have multiple powers.  Also, boss mode should mean a different initial startup position from the AI.  Possably it starts out with all its units on the board or a much more limited # of units kinda deal and more structures possably.  If this idea is too much work to develop, try to make something more similiar to single player, but set it up as a new single/coop player mode.

Due to the fact too many units are uber powerful in the game, a mirror random mode would also help freshen up the game too.  Either way, it's clear the game needs another mode!

We set up a blog on blogger. We will provide you with an invite which you will use to make a user name. Just shoot an email over for which position you would like... and again thanks for the ideas