Author Topic: To All Zatikon Players  (Read 32540 times)

mongolian

• View Profile
Re: To All Zatikon Players
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2009, 02:55:56 PM »
Strategy or Experienced Blogger.  Which is needed more?  I'm typically pretty lengthly in my answers so perhaps strategy suits me more?

sgainford

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2009, 10:18:01 AM »
Eliminating the time constraints is likely to alienate more people than it would draw in;  very few people actually enjoy sitting at their screen for ten minutes doing nothing while their opponent meticulously analyzes(and probably overanalyzes) everything. Back when I played in a chess club, even the most enthusiastic players would take out the timer, because they didn't feel like, or couldn't, play a very protracted game.  I'm also not enthusiastic about the potential being locked into a game when an opponent goes afk indefinitely. While I wouldn't protest a game mode where you can 'save' a game, uploading a move whenever you log in, 'email Zatikon' with a playerbase this size wouldn't work.  Having people in the chatroom when you first log into the game is a comfort, and creates a sense of community when you regularly interact in continuous time with other individuals.

It's pretty rare that I feel the time constraint is inhibiting;  I usually finish plays with 30 seconds or more left on the clock, and am not sure what I would do with the remainder.  The duration of my opponent's turn is perfectly adequate to develop a strategy.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 11:14:33 AM by sgainford »

sgainford

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2009, 11:29:39 AM »
Long time ago, I actually made a crucial reccomendation: Trainer mode.  Yes, this game is VERY OVERWHELMING.  I think it actually has a very negative effect on an average player's mind.  I don't know how to "dumb down" the game, but if there was a (1) good youtube like tutorial and (2) a mode of play where you could see how each piece moves, attacks and such.  In this mode, there would only be 1 piece on the entire board.  A testing zone.  Even after saying all this I feel I am underegagerating that this game needs to be more newbie friendly.  So it's a combination of

1. Cleaner/simpler GUI
2. Test zone to see how each piece moves/clicks
3. YouTube-like video tutorials
4. Other?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 11:47:04 AM by sgainford »

mongolian

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2009, 09:30:42 PM »
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 09:32:28 PM by mongolian »

mongolian

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2009, 09:34:04 PM »
I forgot to reiterate again: please, please don't develop tournaments yet.  Get players first, keep players playing longer, then it's a viable thought.  But to do both of these, many more changes would need to occur.

Lunaraia

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2009, 11:02:32 AM »
As I mentioned someplace else If I am online and someone have any questions fel free to ask as I am running the Zatikon School for Newbies when I am online and have the possibility to do so
Bad guys are no problem when you're an asshole yourself

mongolian

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2009, 01:02:17 PM »
Lunaraia, are you not a blogger too?  Or is this something else?  You are one of the most frequent posters.   PS - I am more then happy to always help out with any in-game question. Best way to reach me is private message in these forums.

sgainford

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2009, 07:06:35 AM »
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 12:03:27 PM by sgainford »

xazn

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2009, 12:25:35 AM »
Strategy or Experienced Blogger.  Which is needed more?  I'm typically pretty lengthly in my answers so perhaps strategy suits me more?

both are needed equally, but experience is more rite now.

This thread is getting out of hand a bit....

We aren't full force on tournament yet, but we would like to conduct a test of it to see how it may go.

Your advertising ideas are great keep them coming and we ll try our best on this end! Thanks to all!

Lunaraia

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2009, 02:41:52 AM »
Im not a blogger, I post when I have time, and sides it takes DAYS between each time, and work is shot said getting a little out of hand ATM

However if tere are a big support for me blogging I'll try to chirp in from time to time, can't commit myself fulltime however, as previously mentionned things are getting a little out of hand and im working overtime alot and when I get home I eat an go to sleep most days, for now atleast, I am on from time to time, and as of sutch I could atleast support the blog by giving another point of view so to speak
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 02:46:36 AM by Lunaraia »
Bad guys are no problem when you're an asshole yourself

mongolian

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2009, 03:55:17 PM »
Can someone send me a private message so I can start writing as the strategy gamer? 

Sgainford, I was really hoping to hear you elaborate on the part where you get the girl.  But, your story reminds me of a typical night out in most European cities.  Maybe it's just a universal thing for young guys to be cocky all the time. 

sgainford

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2009, 04:43:07 AM »
Can someone send me a private message so I can start writing as the strategy gamer? 

Sgainford, I was really hoping to hear you elaborate on the part where you get the girl.  But, your story reminds me of a typical night out in most European cities.  Maybe it's just a universal thing for young guys to be cocky all the time. 

xazn

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2009, 12:30:52 PM »

HAHA We ll do.

Norsker

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2009, 06:08:39 PM »

If you mean advertising through the actual email interface, that's actually an inefficient allocation of funds.  I went to a conference a few weeks ago and attended a talk given by one of yahoo's marketing researchers, and it turns out the rate of return for email advertising could be as low as 0. 

sgainford

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2009, 04:51:52 AM »

If you mean advertising through the actual email interface, that's actually an inefficient allocation of funds.  I went to a conference a few weeks ago and attended a talk given by one of yahoo's marketing researchers, and it turns out the rate of return for email advertising could be as low as 0.  

Well, every time my email advertises some site with a woman hardly wearing any clothes; I always click on it.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 05:24:49 AM by sgainford »