Which new game modes would you like to see?

Started by Chronic Logic - Josiah, March 05, 2010, 07:38:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which new game modes would you like to see?

Limited unit Constructed
2 (25%)
Larger Army Constructed
4 (50%)
Smaller Army Constructed
0 (0%)
Different sized boards
2 (25%)
Buy units as you play
3 (37.5%)
Random Mirrored Army
1 (12.5%)
Redraw Random Armies
3 (37.5%)
Limited Unit Tournaments
3 (37.5%)
Test unit mode
0 (0%)
Boss mode in single player
3 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Chronic Logic - Josiah

If you have more ideas post them and I will add them to the poll.

mongolian

THIS IS AN IMPORTANT THREAD. Btw..I didn't see this thread cause it was dug underneath 10 other threads above posted with stickies or whatever it does to show up on top of threads.

mongolian

More then anything else, I'd like to start seeing Single Player mode and Cooperative game modes be treated differently.  Both could be seperated by different formula's assigned to the AI. Single player mode +100 levels is a joke.  

Boss mode* should be an option up there.  Boss mode would also break down that it could be it's mode or used just for single or coop mode.

In general: it would be nice to see some of the game modes:single/coop/constructed work in a limited function where the most obvious units can't be used like Changeling, Hydra, and a couple of the others that make playing unfun.  *The Goal* should be to make normal war units like pikeman, bowman actually helpful versus a level 100 AI.

Whoop365

i just made a post about this...look and see what you think

Chronic Logic - Josiah

I think the mirrored random army mode is going to go in first because it should be simple to add.  Then we will see what comes next :)

MaximB

Larger Army In Constructed is my main choice.
There are so many units in this game - why not use as many as you can (and the board allows) ?
And then making a bigger game board for the units to fit in ;)

mongolian

Changing board size would be hard to implement MaximB.  What would be nifty though is to have a Type 2-like constructed.  Maybe only the initial set could be used to create those kind of constructed armies. Or, the game makers would hand pick which units can only be used for "type 2" type-like event.

Chronic Logic - Josiah

That would not be hard to do.  Even changing the board size would not be out of the questions for different game modes.

T2k5

I mainly play constructed and my experience is that most people don't like it because they are unable (or just think it takes too much time) to plan balanced armies with the current limits. The option of making bigger armies might help it a bit but it would also make even more overpowered combinations possible. A bigger board would definitely be needed with bigger (over 1500 point) armies.

I think one option would be to keep the 1000 point deploy limit but allow the army to have a total of around 1250-1500 points worth of units to deploy from. That way you could potentially have more counter units to many of the common "rock-paper-scissors" armies while keeping the army size same as before, forcing people to balance offense and defense more. In a way it would make army planning more complicated but it would also lead to more balanced games. It shouldn't be too hard to implement a counter for how many points worth units one has deployed, except maybe for revived units and scouts.

For co-op and single-player, I think it would be nice to be able to play more defensively. At high levels you're pretty much forced to use certain units (hydra, changeling) and keep rushing due to the infinite commands and units for the AI. Stalling for a few turns means getting flooded by units. For me, it started to get old around LVL300ish and now that I'm past 700 I rarely feel like playing co-op or single-player. In the current format it would be hard to keep the game challenging without infinite units and commands for the AI. The Boss mode might be one option, I don't like the idea of limiting unit options for players too much. It would be somewhat the same that it is now but with different units as the "cookie-cutter" armies.

One option could be something like a 3000-9000 (depending on level, for instance 1000+level*10) point army for the AI, with AI having around 10-30 (depending on level) base commands per turn and could deploy commanders and buildings. Some AI units could deploy special or even stronger than the current special ones. This would allow more variations in playing styles as you could also play defensively. It would also make the single-player mode feel more like playing against another player, which I see as a good thing.

Perhaps something similar to this could also be implemented in player vs. player, with two players playing co-op against a third one, who has a random army of 3000+ points. There's a lot of untapped potential in different game modes.

mongolian

The biggest frustration with constructed is playing and most games you have absolutely no way to win once the game begins. The main problem stems from constructed being too fast paced. Perhaps if the game was limited down to start with 4 actions. Or, round 1 had 3 actions, round 2, 4 then all other rounds the normal 5. The only other viable option is to put specific units off-limits to adding to armies, but that offers a lot of problems.