HArdware configuration won't remeber my settings

Started by Narushima, June 20, 2010, 09:04:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narushima

So as to play in a better resolution and bits per colour, I launched the hardware configuration utility, changed everything to my preference, clicked "done", launched the game again, and...nothing. Still the same resolution. Changing to fullscreen or trying to mute the sound through the same utility doesn't work either.
I tried editing the configuration files directly, which as no more influence on the game, and the files are reverted back to their original settings as soon as I exit the game.
So what do i do ? Am I doomed to play BCS in a tiny window ?

Chronic Logic - Josiah

What version of BCS are you using?  What operating system?  Where is the config file you are editing?

Narushima

Sorry, I should have be more precise. I'm using version 1.39 on Windows XP.
As for the files, I edited, in the installation directory, "hwconfig.txt",and also "settings.txt", so the game would always show stress when entering simulation mode. But for both, whatever I do, the changes are not taken into account and are cancelled after I close the game.

And I think I should also mention I bought the game through the infamous paywahteveryouwant.com site. Maybe that version was different.

Chronic Logic - Josiah

Sorry for the delay in responding, I was out of the office yesterday.  It should be saving those files into your "documents" folder.  Can you check in your documents folder and see if there is a "Bridge Construction Set" folder?  Inside that folder is where your config files should be.  That was one of the major points of the 1.39 update.  I am going to personal message you a link to an updated bcs.exe, after you check the information above try saving it into your installation folder and let me know if it makes any differences.  This one should show as version 1.3.9.1

Thanks

Narushima

There was no such folder in "My documents", and the new .exe created it. I copied my profile folder from the installation to that in my documents, so I didn't lose anything in the process !
Thank you very much, now the game looks better.
I just have one last question. Why do developers think it's a good idea to put profile folders in our "my documents" folder ? I don't like to have folders I did not choose to put there appear on their own. It's not horrible, of course, but there is always more and more, clogging my personal folders, it's irritating.

Chronic Logic - Josiah

Glad to hear that it is all working now.  Regarding putting a folder in "My Documents", its not something I am particularly fond of either but with the newer versions of Windows they do not allow software to write to folders in the program files and encourage developers to put any user created data into that users folder.  It also makes for better support for multi users on a single computer each having their own saved data.  Linux and OSX also use a similar setup.  The other option is to create the folder in your "application data" folder, but this folder is hidden by default so if you want users to be able to find any of your files it is not a good location.

Mikekevie

Hello

I have the same problem,
I am using a windows 8.1 operating system, and it seems the application doesn't have premissions to write to the "My documents" folder.

I could write the files myself if I knew what I'dd have to write.

Thanks in advance

Mikekevie

Hello Anyone there?

A week has passed and I haven't encountered a single soul.  ;)
well, all kidding asside, is the support still active on this forum?

Hope to hear from you soon,
Mike

Chronic Logic - Josiah

Mike,

What version of BCS are you using? I don't know what Windows 8.1 would not be backwards compatible but maybe something is different. Can you find the "hwconfig.txt" and "settings.txt" files anywhere?

Mikekevie

hwconfig.txt and settings.txt are nowhere to be found (not in the BCS folder nor in the my documents folder)

Chronic Logic - Josiah