New Zatikon Rating system and rantings reset

Started by Chronic Logic - Josiah, November 19, 2011, 12:15:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chronic Logic - Josiah

As part of the new ranking system we have added to Zatikon all the ratings have been reset, the previous ratings along with detailed information about them can be viewed here:

http://www.chroniclogic.com/zatikon/zatikon_ranks.htm

The new system is an Elo based system similar to what Chess uses.  This should provide for a more balanced ranking system.  We are also considering some kind of monthly ratings and depending on how much interest we get some possible prizes for the monthly winners as well.

Kran

It would be nice if people with 1000 points that never played a rated game could not be counted in the ranks.
Now if you get 999 points your rank is #9600

Chronic Logic - Josiah

Yeah I agree, thinking of a way to fix that.

xsherlock

xsherlock

Quote from: Kran on December 08, 2011, 07:39:17 PM
It would be nice if people with 1000 points that never played a rated game could not be counted in the ranks.
Now if you get 999 points your rank is #9600

Yes this is a good way to fix it:
Zatikon please fix the following, that is 15 minutes coding effort i presume:
1) do not count the users that has not played a ranked game at all so if the user looses it gets rank maybe 50-100 but not 9700-ish
2) add score to the top 20  user list, your most loyal customers are there and they care about the score.
3) in the user list on the right pane,  put rank and score into 2nd line below the username. If the user has a long name the rank and score is not visible as it is off screen

JoeMaster

what about glicko-2?
http://www.glicko.net/glicko.html

Rank people based on their u-(o*2) or something similar like xbox live does.  Because o decreases over time, people will move up even if they play an average number of games.  This also means you are not punished for playing your first game, and you don't screw other people's ratings up when you play your first few games (lets be honest, you are not going to be 1000 elo when you play your first game, you are going to be a lot less.  you reward those that play noobs, and punish noobs for trying.)

It is quite easy to impliment and should fix all the problems without having to create special cases (people with no games don't show up)  Thanks for asking your fans how to improve your game!

Chronic Logic - Josiah

I have not heard of the glicko-2 system.  When doing research for the elo system I read that Microsoft uses a modified elo system for Halo, they use a different system for xbox live?  I think the elo system will be fine with a little tweaking.  All the people who have not played any ranked games should not be ranked, this will help clean up the rankings.

JoeMaster

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/projects/trueskill/

TrueSkill was developed for Halo 2, it eventually was opened up for all games that wanted to use it on the 360.  It is very similar to glicko-2 and ranks according to u-o*2 so that you can never go down from where you started unlike in elo (only visually, behind the scenes it works to do whatever it can to rank properly)

mongolian

Don't care the formula, but I loathe decaying ratings, especially with a low player base. More importantly, Zatikon has proven to be a game where despite the competitive types are here, 3 fold is the new of cooperative players. Any efforts should be focused on them vs us few junkies :D

JoeMaster

This system is specifically designed to avoid the problem of discouraging newbies.  ELO systems are only good for the hardcore players that play lots of games consistently.  Don't know what you mean by decaying, this rating would start you at the bottom and only move you up visually, your rank would be determined through consistant play.