News:

Zatikon is back and free to play! https://www.chroniclogic.com/zatikon.htm

Main Menu

Best HW platform

Started by ElJenso, October 20, 2001, 01:56:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

floppy

Well, it NEVER slows down in my Athlon 1.4 + Geforce3, but it chugs on my Celeron 300A + TNT2 overclocked to 450MHz.

ElJenso

What would be the optimum HW platform for pontifex?

Is there something like a pfx benchmark?

Obviously 2 things are crucial
* CPU power
  would you consider Athlon due to high FP or
  P4 due to high Integer performance?

* Graphics
  I assume that something like GF2 or GF3 should
  do the job.

efflixi

I'm running an Athlon 1.2GHz Tbird w/ 640MBs of PC133 cas2 ram and a 64MB GF2 Ultra. My system is WAY overkill for Pontifex. I would think that a P3 600 w/ 128MBs and a 16MB TNT card would be plenty. Remember, this isn't an action game and you don't NEED to get ultra high frame rates. http://www.pontifex2.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif" border="0" valign="absmiddle" alt=':)'>

Calastigro

After about a gForce 256 (gforce 1) the gfx card doesn't matter.  When you have a giant suspension bridge, and it needs to calculate the exact force on all the members, your CPU is extremely important.  so... the min system that would run it smoothly ALL the time... Athalon 1.4ghz and a gForce 256 (unlikely combo...).

pasqualz

The rule when putting together any PC system is "Buy the fastest for the amount you're willing to spend!" If you have 贄 to spend, the fastest will be a Pentium 166. If you have 񘈨, the fatsest will be somewhere around a P3 IGHz or P4 1.3GHz.
"Call Mr. Plow That's my name, That name again is Mr. Plow" - Homer (Mr. Plow) Simpson

Rickboy

My boss is running an AMD Duron 700 w/ 256Mb and a 32Mb Geforce 2 MX and it starts to hurt when he's testing his bridges.

ElJenso

Obviously editing the bridge is not the problem but I want to run the simulation really smooth on the system. Which cpu should I use? Athlon or P4?

To the developers: Is there a chance to get some performance info (like fps in Quake)?

Ravean

Like people have said before its all about the CPU, as long as you have a decent video card with opengl support then you just need a good cpu, i have a thunderbird 1.4 gig and a geforce2 card and ponifex runs great :)  Also in the beta it showed the fps and it ran around 70 on mine if i remember correctly