News:

Zatikon is back and free to play! https://www.chroniclogic.com/zatikon.htm

Main Menu

crash under Win2k

Started by DeWinter, October 11, 2001, 08:23:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeWinter

Hello !
Pontifex crashes the comp (i have to press Reset) whenever i play it for a period of time exceeding 30 mins. I have a fresh install, latest drivers for sound and graphics.
I play it @ 1024x768, 32Bit, High details
I run under an athlon 1.33 Ghz, 256Mb ram, GeForce 2 Pro. I have installed Service pack 1, and some critical updates.
Thanks in advance for any help !

malfunct

This is a problem with the intereaction of your motherboard chipset, the graphics card in question, and win2k. I actually have the same problem. There are patches from MS that let you play longer, but you still eventually crash. Evidentially MS got the timing all wrong on the agp port with VIA chipsets and the problem is extremely evident with the Geforce 2.<p>The absolute fix is windows XP unfortunately. Buy it when it comes out, MS seems to have gotten it right this time. I did beta testing and the problem went away in thier last beta http://www.pontifex2.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif" border="0" valign="absmiddle" alt=':)'> Woohoo!<p>Hope that helps you.

fujiwara

I run PFX on my sisters brandnew P3 1 GHZ, 512MB RAM, ATI rage pro, 1024x768, 32 Bit, High details too. It runs PERFECT.
Try to install service Pack 2 for Win 2000

dumbjon

Had the same problem. I downloaded the AMD win2k patch from amd's website. Fixed it. Thank god thats all it was.

Just go here: http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871,00.html" target="_blank">http://www.amd.com/us-en....00.html  and click the link that says"Microsoft Windows® 2000 Patch for AGP Applications".

Ravean

Try Checking your CPU temperature in your bios after you crash, Ponifex is a CPU intensive game, maybe your CPU is not cooling properly and after 30 mins its getting hot?  Also Athlon 1.33 run pretty hot to start with, heh

amos

I too run win2k and I've been getting frequent crashes lately. I updated my video card driver, and directx but this doesn't help.

This is quite frusterating.

DeWinter

I had considered heat, but it's not the case. Moreover this time the game crashed after 5 mins. Which means i cant play the game anymore, and that really pisses me off :-(

dumbjon

Have you tried the AMD win2k patch?

Ravean

Humm, then the only thing i could think of is your video drivers, have you tried using different ones? Are you using the ones that came with your card? You might wanna just try some different ones and see if that helps.  Or try turning off the sound and run it for a while see if it crashs.  Or try in a lower res maybe, or update your directx? just some ideas, your CPU is not overclocked right? :)

respect

I have been having the same problem too.  I could play the demo just fine but as soon as I installed the full version Pontifex started locking up my computer after 3-4 minutes of playing.  I AM running Win2k with a VIA chipset (KT266a) and a GTS-V so I hope my problems will go away once I upgrade to XP.

darren

I have tried running it on an IBM laptop running Win 2K, it crashes after approx 2 minutes everytime.  I have all the latest drivers etc. I guess it doesn't like Win 2K.  I have it running on Win ME now, all OK, no problems

respect

Whoops, hehe...I forgot to read the next page of this thread :P  I tried the AMD registry patch and it worked like a charm!  Thanks Dumbjon.

Ravean

Well i have it running on my system which is win2k and have never had it crash, its not a win2k problem its something else.

RRuss

I have a Toshiba Tecra 8100 laptop running Win2k.

The game runs fine as long as I don't allow my screensaver to ever kick in.  It can't recover from any kind of interruption.  If I exit the game cleanly, and try to run the game again I get the "Blue Screen of Death"tm and the machine reboots.

I have a Win2k desktop machine as well.  AMD Athlon 1.2G with 512MB RAM and an ATI Radeon 64MB video card.  I haven't loaded it on this box yet... but I'll report the results when I do.

pasqualz

I have pontifex running on 3 different PCs (work desktop) (home laptop) and (home desktop). All PCs have Win2K SP2 and run fine! More details to follow:

Work Desktop
Dell Dimension XPS T650R
Geforce 2  32 MB
Win 2K SP 2

Home Desktop
Homegrown (Abit Mobo, PII 300)
Viper V550 (TNT 16MB)
Win 2K SP 2

Home Lappy
Dell Latitude C600
ATI Rage Mobil 8MB
Win 2K SP 2

"Call Mr. Plow That's my name, That name again is Mr. Plow" - Homer (Mr. Plow) Simpson