News:

Zatikon is back and free to play! https://www.chroniclogic.com/zatikon.htm

Main Menu

Alt-Tab Crashes

Started by Klei, October 12, 2001, 07:49:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Klei

Pontifex annoingly crashes when I go to another application using Alt-Tab.
You should fix it in the next version

Klei

Now I know why I got my Voodoo3 card for free while fixing my computer.
Also, I know why 3DFX went broke.

panther

No problems with alt-tabbing here....can even run ICQ in background and alt-tab when message comes in. Poss. check your temp/swapfiles...defrag too...
-=// He who hesitates - probably isn't sure that there are no broken links \\=-

pasqualz

Yep, Voodoo cards WERE good, but now that much higher quality cards are out there, it's obvious that they weren't exactly manufactured the best.
"Call Mr. Plow That's my name, That name again is Mr. Plow" - Homer (Mr. Plow) Simpson

Gray

I can Alt-Tab out, but when I return, the game screen is black and remains black indefinitely, though the game is still running (I can quit normally by tapping Esc). Using a Voodoo3.
http://www.bridgebuilder-game.com" target="_blank">http://www.bridgebuilder-game.com
Shut up, Brain, or I'll stab you with a Q-tip! -- Homer Simpson

beaujob

I have a TNT2 Ultra and Windows 2000, and when I alt tab, Pontifex still grabs all mouse and keyboard input.  I made the mistake of starting a conversation in AIM and then alt tabbing back to Pontifex.  While conversing, I had managed to take about 500 screeshots of a blank screen, save my level out to 10 different gobbeldygook nonsense file/bridge names containing lots of non alpha-numeric characters.  http://www.pontifex2.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif" border="0" valign="absmiddle" alt=':('>  Also, alt-tabbing in windowed mode crashes the program completely.  Go figure!
"And once again, the day is saved thanks to the Powerpuff Girls."

tschroeder

on my win98 machine it crashes if i leave it long enough for the power saving to start up.

baggio

I don't usually press F8 500 times when using AIM, but whatever floats your boat.

My problem is the blank screen like Gray had when I return. I thought I'd crashed it hard, and reset the machine. I didn't know that I could press ESC multiple times to close P*. This was on an nVidia GeForce 256 DDR.

beaujob: I wouldn't mind doing kung-fu in the shadow of a bridge that I built while death and a clown get it on in the bathtub next door, but that's a long ways off.

efflixi

Voodoo cards are infamous for crashing when alt-tabbing. Your lucky Gray, u can still exit the game. Aside from writing your own drivers there's nothing anyone can do about it.

beaujob

Well, just the other day, I left Pontifex open all night, and the only interaction that I had with my computer in that time was turning the monitor off.  When I awoke the next morning, Pontifex had crashed because of the screensaver, but not before again taking (this time) 1000 screenshots of nothing, and again saving out the open level to several dozen nonsense filenames.

pasqualz

My problem is that if I Alt-Tab, then return back to Pontifex,all the text is screwed up! Ohyeah, also, the mouse is screwed up. Everything turns into blocks of parallel horizontal lines! I have this problem on my laptop (Dell Latitude C600) which uses an ATI Rage mobile video chip.
"Call Mr. Plow That's my name, That name again is Mr. Plow" - Homer (Mr. Plow) Simpson

mendel

Teach your houseelves to use the computer correctly... :-)
Could it be malware at work, a trojan, a bad thing from the 'net? I'll go and test my houseelves; were you in edit mode or in test mode? On second thought, saving out files points to it being edit mode...

(Edited by mendel at 3:34 pm on Nov. 2, 2001)

alcor

That's happened to me too, and i have an ATI all in wonder 128.

beaujob

I have no idea what a houseelf is, but I am quite certain my computer is not infected with any nasties from the web as I:
   1) don't download unsolicited .exe files
   2) run a virus scanner frequently

Thus, anything happening with Pontifex is most certainly pontifex' fault.  Most peculiarly, when I left the game open all night, it was in test mode.   But the screenshots were of a blank screen.  My theory is just that pontifex doesn't, as someone else said, know how to play with all the other kids in the sandbox.

pasqualz

Perhaps the problem is an ATI driver issue! I wouldn't doubt it. Anyway, it's not a huge issue, just a minor pain! I'd rather see CL concentrate on new updates and new games!!!