News:

Zatikon is back and free to play! https://www.chroniclogic.com/zatikon.htm

Main Menu

Arches

Started by elrond, October 17, 2001, 07:16:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nalicnod

NO for arch tool (we are supposed to built bridges, not computer)
YES for X-symmetry option

elrond

How about integrating a tool to make arches?

It would work like this, you would select the end points of the arch, and then you could stretch the arch in the Y direction.

Then the game could generate optimal joints for this arch and I could fill it with Heavy / Light steel or even cable.

Is this a good idea or does it take some of the "art" out of it?

--
Elrond

Klei

I agree with nalicnod

pasqualz

I feel it takes the art out of it as well as the playability factor. You could conceivable make a flat arch to build the roadway or a tall support tower too. . .
"Call Mr. Plow That's my name, That name again is Mr. Plow" - Homer (Mr. Plow) Simpson

pasqualz

yes, it is a purist issue, but it could be an option that us "artists" will just avoid!
"Call Mr. Plow That's my name, That name again is Mr. Plow" - Homer (Mr. Plow) Simpson

texroadkil

thats a pretty common CAD tool and it would be nice to have.

elrond

There is a lot of fiddle wiht making arches, especialy when making BIG arches. I guess an X-symmetry option would help some tho.
--
Elrond

Lordi

As much as I have cursed the game after another quite good looking arch i constructed crashed (hey, can anone give me some tips on how to do it properly ?), I must say that this function really would make the game to easy. better leave it out and let us  curse the game some more ;-)

I agree, the whole point is that WE're making the bridges, not the computer.

Lordi, I've had some success with arches... I try to make them as smoothly curved as possible (both the deck and the supports), and make the sections as long as possible as they seem to be stronger the longer they are.