News:

Zatikon is back and free to play! https://www.chroniclogic.com/zatikon.htm

Main Menu

Pullies or Pivot points

Started by baggio, October 25, 2001, 10:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrtfehr

Actually, its not pin joints unless you want the beam to be able to swing in two dirrections.  A hinge is more like it, hence the term "hinged joint".  Both would be usefull though.  This should be an easy one to impliment also.  Enjoy.  :-)

baggio

It'd be nice to have joints that could pivot and bend with out breaking links.  Additionally, being able to run the cable through a pully would allow weight on some parts of the bridge to distribute to others.
beaujob: I wouldn't mind doing kung-fu in the shadow of a bridge that I built while death and a clown get it on in the bathtub next door, but that's a long ways off.

mendel

AFAIK hinges are not usually used in building bridge trusses :-)
A pin joint (such as on a bicycle chain) allows swinging in one direction and offers resistance to the other 2. It takes force in 2 directions, and resists movement along the axis of the pin, but can't take great force in that direction. On brantancan (see www.bridgebuilder-game.com -> links) you can see pictures of pin joints.

Since BB is 2D, you can't try rotating a beam in any other plane than the monitor plane, and applying force in the 3rd direction is out of the question, too, so pin joints is what I call them, though in 2D you can't tell them from hinges :-)

JohnK

I agree, if there was one feature lost from bb to PFX that I miss, Pivoting links would be it. They allowed for  bridges to settle with much less damage.

mendel

The word is "pin joints" :-)