News:

Zatikon is back and free to play! https://www.chroniclogic.com/zatikon.htm

Main Menu

Woooooah there 'lil doggie

Started by beaujob, October 23, 2001, 08:09:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

baggio

Quote: from beaujob on 11:29 am on Oct. 26, 2001
Yeah, I've noticed that a train will be able to go up a steeper slope in hard mode than in normal mode...Didn't realize that the skill level played into it.  Doesn't that just make the train 2 times as massive?  Seems as if some inertia is taking place.  Besides, the CG of the train moves futher back with added cars.

If we assume that there isn't a moment associated with the inertia, then that means that the train with 2 cars will accelerate as fast as a train with 10 cars, but the train with 10 cars will have a momentum to carry it further up a slope.  This would also mean if you doubled the mass, it would also carry further.

beaujob: I wouldn't mind doing kung-fu in the shadow of a bridge that I built while death and a clown get it on in the bathtub next door, but that's a long ways off.

mendel

In original BB, getting rid of the cars makes the engine accelerate to infinity... or close :-)

Calastigro

i've made bridges that are ttable, clean, and 0bl, but only on hard.  they will not work in any other difficulty level.  i find that halarious...

mendel

I did some experiments with www.pontifex.mendelsohn.de/tslope1.pxl - the file contains 7 different up slopes. It runs very slowly on my machine, I would appreciate if someone would run other  tests. The cables at the bottom can be used to determine how much of the train got up the slope, just line them up so you know you're not looking diagonally. I need the cables to hold the deck because anchor-to-anchor building is not allowed - for any type of material. If do timing, provide your times compared to a ground run in the same level - it would be best if you changed only 1-2 deck pieces between the comparison runs because these changes can affect the sim speed.

My result so far:
A 1-car-train can only get the engine up a 3x3y slope on the first go before sliding back. A 10-car train gets the engine and 8 cars up on hard (6.5 cars on easy), and it is still accelerating when it is (my imagination) passing the 1-car-train! This means the 10-car-train has a stronger engine, which is the explanation why short trains are not faster.
The strongest engine would be a 10-car engine on "hard"; if you could separate it from its cars, it should go very fast ;-)