News:

Zatikon is back and free to play! https://www.chroniclogic.com/zatikon.htm

Main Menu

Complex mode tutorial

Started by , October 26, 2001, 02:04:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I've noticed a lot of people seem to have trouble working out how to use anchor points that're on a different plane (yes, I was one of them!). Might it be worth including a little tutorial level in a later version that guides the player through this? Opinions please.

mendel

What Pfx would need for a tutorial: a text message display before each level.
Why not write up an illustrated walkthrough through complex levels 1-3 with expensive bridges on easy, just to show techniques? If you did, I'd put it on the web.

JohnK

What if the message was displayed in the description section of the level information. It could be something simple like "In this level you will need to change the plane, press R an F to do so." If someone wants to make up a simple map pack, I'll write the tutorial.

mendel

1) Kudos to kvinge for pointing out that a text display before the level exists (how could I have forgot about the decription? Probably because Chronic doesn't use it yet.). This is an easy update for the next Pfx version: add "tutorial" descriptions to some levels.

2) I suggested 1,2,3 for demonstrating the following:
1: you making a non-horizontal deck, simple reinforcing
2: using the riverbottom anchor to build a tower, and from that hanging a cable-stayed bridge
3: cable-stayed with off-plane mid-air anchors
What is missing is an arch design, with the "riverbank" anchors for the arch.

I would not change any of the existing levels (except the descriptions, of course) because that would make comparing scores a pain in the butt. A tutorial map pack might be the way to go.

Yeah... thinking about it (which I should've done in the first place!) a tutorial level would probably be overkill. Everything else about edit mode seems to be pretty intuitive.
Maybe a simple help button in the game itself would be better all round? (I'm thinking mainly of people who don't read the manual or the FAQ (which I've been guilty of myself from time to time (arrgh! nested brackets! LISP flashback!!))).

baggio

I'm in agreement with mendel.  I think complex levels 1-3 encompass all the major hurdles when trying to solve the levels.  I'm not able to load the levels right now to verify, but I think level one requires you to build on a slope. Level two requires you to build .... [Don't try to run Potifex over a Remote Desktop Client in Windows XP, there is a problem in tracking the mouse cursor, and you will not be able to exit... http://www.pontifex2.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif" border="0" valign="absmiddle" alt=':)'> makes finishing this thread a little difficult] I'm going to try it a different way. I'll come back and edit this when I get the chance.

What I was going to try and establish was that I thought Complex Levels 1-3 would be enough to base a tutorial on. Something like the introduction level in Black & White. (Didn't Sid Meyer write that :cheesy:)

beaujob: I wouldn't mind doing kung-fu in the shadow of a bridge that I built while death and a clown get it on in the bathtub next door, but that's a long ways off.

baggio

Ok... I just copied Pontifex to my local machine and can now give a better response.

1 or 2, 3, 4 complex levels teach you everything you need to know I think. Levels 1 and 2 require that you learn how to slope the deck. 3 requires that you learn how to build using "sky hooks" out of the typical plane, and 4 requires "sky hooks" and a bridge with a suspended deck.  The guide would only need to walkthrough levels 2-4 to give you a sense of everything.  This obviously puts complex level 1 out of place and maybe that should be removed from the game.  I'm in favor of adding a new "level 17" to round out the complex levels.  Perhaps for future releases?

beaujob: I wouldn't mind doing kung-fu in the shadow of a bridge that I built while death and a clown get it on in the bathtub next door, but that's a long ways off.