News:

Zatikon is back and free to play! https://www.chroniclogic.com/zatikon.htm

Main Menu

Broken link finder

Started by K Anderso, October 26, 2001, 04:26:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mat-c

One way to represent broken links, would be to make them go a funny colour but still display.  Eg:  they turn yellow or some user defined colour, but no longer play any structural part.  Also, a "pause on first break" option would be nice... the bridge would pause, with the broken link highlighted.

K Anderso

Sometimes  I brake 4 links and can not see where. It would be nice to easily see in the edit screen what links broke during test.

baggio

Quote: from mat-c on 11:26 am on Oct. 26, 2001
Also, a "pause on first break" option would be nice... the bridge would pause, with the broken link highlighted.I think the pause would work, but I want my broken links flying around the screen.  If they just turned yellow, I'm not sure I'd like that.  Half to fun is watch a poor bridge design collapse.
beaujob: I wouldn't mind doing kung-fu in the shadow of a bridge that I built while death and a clown get it on in the bathtub next door, but that's a long ways off.

mendel

Hmmm.. in edit, have [<] and [>] to cycle through the beams and joints/linkboxes that were broken on the last run - only available as long as no edit is done - should be a simple upgrade, but very helpful. Spotting which link of the beam or linkbox took it would be a matter of rerunning the test, but knowing where to look can be a big plus. Also, knowing exactly what broke first...

I had a case today of a single beam breaking; a short time after that, a second one. I couldn't find the place! It was on the back of a beam on the other side of the bridge deck - a really mean place to hide.

pasqualz

OOOHHH Great idea!!!! DO IT!
"Call Mr. Plow That's my name, That name again is Mr. Plow" - Homer (Mr. Plow) Simpson

pulsejet5

great idea, it seems if you blink while testing the bridge you might miss the link that broke. With this feature you could even walk away and do something. And for those of us who have slow computers I think it would be even better not to have to wait for the physichs engine.

I hate finding what links are broken and this would help a lot.

Andy24

I agree about the need for a broken link finder. It would be very helpful for those times when my bro chooses to annoy me right as I am busy watching my bridge.

amos

I agree. It's often hard to tell which links break.

pulsejet5

EHHHEM

it does happen frequently that i'm distracted but I don't think you have to go out of your way to insult me!!!

falkon2

Agreed, or at the most spawn sparks/debris

beaujob

Or you could have a dead color in Stress mode.  Bright white perchance?  Or a custom color, whateva.
"And once again, the day is saved thanks to the Powerpuff Girls."

Klei

Also, sometimes (in big drops), the train breaks with a boom, and then I look for the broken links until I notice there are none!