News:

Zatikon is back and free to play! https://www.chroniclogic.com/zatikon.htm

Main Menu

Old-fashioned hardware

Started by beaujob, October 31, 2001, 02:47:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beaujob

I have an old 486DX 33MHz PC with 16MB of RAM and a SB16 which for some reason cannot support high DMA without windows running.  If anyone has knowledge of old hardware, I would appreciate any thoughts as how to rectify this problem.  I would like to be able to support 16 bit digitized sound so I can run M.E.S.S.
"And once again, the day is saved thanks to the Powerpuff Girls."

mendel

You have me confused here: 16-bit sound usually means 16-bit samples, and you can transfer those to the soundcard using 8-bit DMA if your application supports it.
I suggest setting your 16-bit DMA channel to the same value as for the 8-bit DMA; I assume you have checked that your 16-bit DMA setting is correctly reflected in the BLASTER environment variable?
I never had any problems with my SB16, but then I don't know what M.E.S.S. is, either.
Hope this helps.
Michael

baggio

I think you are correct mendel. Although it has been a long time since I used an SB16, I seem to remember that the DMA channels were set to 1 an 5 by default. It was however possible to set the high DMA to the same channel as the low DMA, in this case 1 if your computer wouldn't support the SB16 on 5.

It might just be a problem with what you are loading. I seem to remember that you could only use the DMA channels if EMM386 or some other memory manager was running.

beaujob: I wouldn't mind doing kung-fu in the shadow of a bridge that I built while death and a clown get it on in the bathtub next door, but that's a long ways off.

mendel

From Soundblaster - The Official Book (2nd Edition):
p106: Since the SB16 has excellent installation manuals, you'll want to read them thoroughly before attempting to install your SB16.
dito: Problems with 16-bit Audio Playback
[....] Some computers may have problems with these 16-bit DMA transfers, but thankfully the SB16 allows the use of an 8-bit DMA channel as a substitute (albeit at the cost of speed and processor cycles).

This book has all the installation info, if you need further details, email me.

beaujob

Hmmm, instresting...  Thanks all.
"And once again, the day is saved thanks to the Powerpuff Girls."