News:

Zatikon is back and free to play! https://www.chroniclogic.com/zatikon.htm

Main Menu

Suspension bridge

Started by Mos, October 21, 2002, 04:24:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreadnough

Yeah, I've noticed that too. The outer suspension cables should be as curved as possible. When I curve a suspension cable I pull down in the exact horizontal center of the curve from anchor point to anchor point.
Also building high pillars seldomly helps.

(Edited by Dreadnough at 5:31 pm on Oct. 21, 2002)

/Casper
"I do not apologize. I'm sorry but that's the way I am." -- Homer Simpson.

Mos

Okay, so how exactly DO you make a suspension bridge? I attempted to build one, but all my bridges end up collapsing. Collapsing because they are failures.

screenshots plz k thx bye

mikaiser

Building standard type suspension bridges (where the pillars are somewhere in the water, not at the end of the bridge), the tricky point is to bend the suspension cable connecting the pillar tops with the anchor points on land just enough to balance the pillars against the weight of the middle section. and here the game seems to be a bit unrealistic: If you look, for excample, at the real Golden Gate Bridge, the middle section of the suspension cable is much more bend than the landside sections. In the pontfex II game, you should try to bend all sections similiary. The suspension cable seems to be very heavy, so even small balancing failures destroy all kinds of materials you´ve made your towers of.

I apologize for this unclear description, it´s as good as my English is...

German engineering!

Dreadnough

First of all the suspension cable should of course is usually laid with as large a curve above the deck as possible. It must of course has very strong anchor points. And the pillars must also be strong enough to carry the load pushed down on them.

What part of the bridge is breaking first?

/Casper
"I do not apologize. I'm sorry but that's the way I am." -- Homer Simpson.