News:

Zatikon is back and free to play! https://www.chroniclogic.com/zatikon.htm

Main Menu

Contest Bridge?

Started by Sarterixa, October 20, 2001, 10:07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VRBones

Quote: from brett on 2:58 pm on Oct. 24, 2001
I'd like to see everybody take a screenshot of their bridge (in the edit screen) and let everybody look at all the different designs when the contest is over... especially the winner.
I'd prolly expect CL to make up a bit of a page after the comp with pics etc of the winning bridges, plus possibly some standout design ones. In any event I've got a pic standing by for the thread that's bound to start after the comp is over ;)

baggio

Aaaaghghgh!!!! ฦ,136 cheaper... I think this is as low as I'm going to get it. At least for tonight. If I shave off any more, there won't be a bridge left. ;)
beaujob: I wouldn't mind doing kung-fu in the shadow of a bridge that I built while death and a clown get it on in the bathtub next door, but that's a long ways off.

Proj2501

Right.... Nearly got mine done, atho im not gonna mention the cost, ill just say its a lot lower than I thought I could do. http://www.pontifex2.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif" border="0" valign="absmiddle" alt=':)'>
Good few hours of teaking left yet, and may I just congratulate CL on the best #### game ive played in years.
Only bought the game last night, and I gotta say, im gonna be recomending it to everyone, but making sure they get some sleep first tho. http://www.pontifex2.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif" border="0" valign="absmiddle" alt=':)'>
Keep up the good work guys!
"What we see now is like a dim image in a mirror... soon we shall see, face to face."

Ramjet

1. For this contest, only PERFECT BRIDGES will be accepted. That means that your bridge must have zero broken links on HARD difficulty and that the train cannot pass through any links on its voyage.

Hopefully it came out quoted http://www.pontifex2.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif" border="0" valign="absmiddle" alt=':)'>
My question might be kind of stupid,but anyway. The ting im not completely sure about is the "and the train cannot pass through any links on its voyage." Could someone explain this to a Norwegian not so god in english wannabe bridgebuilder ?

It has been brought to our attention that it is possible to build cheaper bridges by exploiting a bug in the game.  It has to do with building deck pieces over asymmetric steel pieces.  If you've discovered the bug, then you know what we're talking about.  To be sure that this bug is not exploited in the contest, we will rebuild the decks of the bridges to verify that they are genuine.  We have checked the bridges that have been sent in so far, and none of them have this problem.  Thank you to mendel, falkon2, and Gray for pointing this out.

scarmody

i like the idea of a complete list of entries sorted in order of cost be avaliable too.  that way we know where we all fit in relation to our pontifex abilities and others in the community.

i'd also like to say that i don't see why multiple submissions is a problem.  why not just make the mail client auto replace a users last submission.  that way theres always only the best one entry per user.

mendel

If you're using a central arch (instead of two side by side), you could build it so it comes up through the deck (the rails) in the middle to save costs. The train will not collide with the bars and pass right through (ghost train, huh).
You are not allowed to do this (or similar things).

Dreadnough

Isn't it the same as just removing the link going across the bridge? Or does the link just become invisible?
I haven't used it in my design since it wasn't possible.

BTW: How do we take screenshots?

/Casper
"I do not apologize. I'm sorry but that's the way I am." -- Homer Simpson.

Dreadnough

I would also like a list of everyone's bridges and costs. Then I can see how much I really suck at building bridges.
/Casper

JohnK

Why is everyone so worried about settling? The people testing the bridge aren't a bunch of underpaid temps (well underpaid yes, you should get lots more for a game like this, it is the pinnacle of bridge building simulators! Where was I? Ah, yes, Settling) they are people who wrote the game and wouldn't disqualify someone on a technicality that their bridge "doesn't work if you start it in seconds that are also prime numbers." I for one am not worried.

Klei

The contest bridge was SO SIMPLE!!!
It took me 7 minutes to figure it out and build a bridge!
Of course, I don't expect to win, but still: that bridge is far too simple.

Andre nordmenn her også ja http://www.pontifex2.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif" border="0" valign="absmiddle" alt=':)'>

This is exciting I would say

Dreadnough

>> Klei

Edit: Sorry Klei. I don't know why I wrote my reply in danish. What I wrote was:

It's the first contest. Everybody should be able to participate.

BTW: CL, how many bridges have you recieved so far?

(Edited by Dreadnough at 3:16 pm on Oct. 25, 2001)

/Casper

Dreadnough

/Casper

falkon2

LOL! I think simplicity is what CL wanted.. they wanted a bridge that is, stealing a quote, "Easy to learn, Hard to master" in that sense. Simple enough that anyone can participate in the contest, yet large enough that we can spend days optimizing the bridge and provide challenge for maniacs like Gray

BTW, Just sent in my bridge. Gray: I've gotten it cheaper than when we last talked, but I'm not telling HOW much cheaper =P. Let you simmer a bit in anxiety before you click "send".

Edit: Deadnough: Nope, CL wasn't referring to that - removing the cross-beam actually weakens the structure. What CL was talking about is an exploit that gives you deck cheaper, yet has exactly the same physical properties as a normal, unexploited deck. After the contest I'll start a thread detailing that bug, and (if CL doesn't already fix it by then) some suggestions for workarounds which might also provide another neat feature for Pfx.

(Edited by falkon2 at 5:06 am on Oct. 25, 2001)