News:

Zatikon is back and free to play! https://www.chroniclogic.com/zatikon.htm

Main Menu

Contest Bridge?

Started by Sarterixa, October 20, 2001, 10:07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

street

Don't think for a second that I didn't just wet myself in dread.  

Just kidding, but seriously, I've really been worried because MY e-mail server sometimes quietly loses my mail.   *gasp*

Better play some GTA 3 to calm my nerves.  http://www.pontifex2.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif" border="0" valign="absmiddle" alt=':cool:'>

Street

larsberg

OK! Sorry about that.

Maybe add this to the contest rules?

Lars...

JohnK

This is going to be a hard contest to win, especially since I'm not all that great at making cheap but long bridges. CL, could the next contest be a short (but difficult) level? I seem to be able to think through those better.

(Edited by kvinge at 3:08 pm on Oct. 20, 2001)

baggio

Wow... I didn't win. No surprise there. Anyone want to start a thread with screen captures of their entry? I'll submit mine, but I'll have to get some webspace first.
beaujob: I wouldn't mind doing kung-fu in the shadow of a bridge that I built while death and a clown get it on in the bathtub next door, but that's a long ways off.

mat-c

I didn't win either, but I did get a special mention with something like 5th place or thereabouts...
I'd like to be the first to congratulate Calis on some fine chea... bridge building expertise http://www.pontifex2.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif" border="0" valign="absmiddle" alt=':)'>
Well done mate and may your reign be long and glorious... btw if you ever get a job as an architect, remind me to never travel by train ;)

falkon2

Accidental double post... Er.. uh...

A funny think happenes to me on teh awy here... uh... er, ####.

(Edited by falkon2 at 10:06 pm on Oct. 29, 2001)

VRBones

Would CL be able to clarify point 2 of the rules ?
2. Timing cannot be a factor for your bridge beyond the initial settling point. In other words, we don't want you to say, "It works when you run it 2.5 seconds after the simulation starts." We will run the train a few seconds after the simulation begins to test it.
While doing a lot of tests I noticed some bridges took quite a while to settle, sometimes as much as 30 seconds. Running the train before then has a random chance of breaking. While the initial section seems to imply that you will wait for the bridge to 'settle', the last section implies that this would be expected to be fairly quick (a few seconds).  I've got no problems building a bridge that will withstand a quicker starting time, but at a cost of ~񙇈 extra, it seems a pretty large chunk of cash given up to satisfy a 'fuzzy' rule. Would you be able to state something like 'The settling period is expected to be X' or 'The settlng period is complete when there is no movement visible' or are we able to include screenshots or other proof that the bridge stands (which seems to be what you don't want from the middle section of the rule)

MrTaco

I'm pretty interested in teh reply to Bones' question too.

I too have a bridge that requires "settling." I'm not talking about 30 seconds, more like 10-15 (on a 400 mhz celeron) which is probably 5-7 seconds on an average 800 mhz p3.

How much settling time do we get?

Calis

Giving settling time in seconds wouldnt do the job, I guess. What we need is either a 'simulation time' display or an option like I suggested in the 'new ideas'-'batch testing' thread  (I didnt say 3/5 *seconds* there for exactly this reason :)

Once we have such, maybe there should be a way to store the settling time along with the bridge to make batch testing possible for bridges needing different delays. (or just specify a multiple test with delays 1,2,3,4,5,7,10,15,20 or such..  would take longer to test, though :)

falkon2

Or maybe a "Contest run" feature that automatically runs the train at a time specified in the contest level file. This would solve a lot of the settling time problems we're having.

ataraxia

yeah that's a good idea, having the train auto-run after a set amount of machine ticks. that will solve the argument (:

my contest bridge will carry 10 carriages, so I don't think it's in any danger of winning! lol

Dreadnough

OK Falkon2. I might have used it. I haven't noticed it though.
/Casper
"I do not apologize. I'm sorry but that's the way I am." -- Homer Simpson.

mendel

Re: talking about the contest bridge in public

Instead of proscribing what motivates people, why not let them decide themselves?

Suggestion: make a 5th "contest designs" forum; forbid talking contest designs/scores outside of that and don't restrict it inside. General discussion about the contest (about the rules etc.) should stil be going on in the "General" Forum.

That way, players who feel they'll be demotivated by these things can stay clear of that forum; players who feel that will motivate them can read it.

What we need now is a poll (Gray, are you listening?).

Btw, the "settling time" issue is connected to the issues disussed in the "Strongest bridges?" thread. I would suggest adding a mid-air Ũ-cost box (see "A new kind of record" ) to your bridge that self-destructs when it hits ground; once that happens, Chronic may start the train.
I'm not sure if the rules need to be amended for that since it's not the bridge that breaks links when the box hits. Ben/Alex, what do you think?

panther

Hmmm, lots of discussion on allowing the bridge to settle in this discussion.

I think that minimum settle time is ok, as you really wouldn't expect to place a real bridge and have it flap about a bit before considering it finished.

As a perfect example, look at the guys who designed the Millenium footbridge in London, UK. It never settled! LOL. Guess they should have left the design for all us Pontifex users, we probably would have made it on a lower budget too!:wink:

-=// He who hesitates - probably isn't sure that there are no broken links \\=-