News:

Zatikon is back and free to play! https://www.chroniclogic.com/zatikon.htm

Main Menu

Who has beat Gish?

Started by Chronic Logic, May 25, 2004, 05:35:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zanzer7

I bought Gish yesterday, and I got through it today...
A bit short, but an overall great game... I'll do it again one of these days...
Oh yeah, also did all "Collection Thingie" levels... I was wondering, is "Playroom used for anything more than just... jumping around?

Whatever, I have a question for ChronicLogic:
Are we allowed to make mods for Gish?
And maps too, if that's even possible without a level editor

Thanks in advance
- zanzer7

Chronic Logic

The "play room" is just for that, playing around.  As for mods for Gish that is still up in the air with the level editor.  Its possible that it will be released but at this point in time it is not ready for release.

weeble

I went through again to try to get the other ending (the bad one). For a terrible moment I thought my work was for nothing when the I accidentally nudged the cage and it got jammed. I had to jump up and down on top of it to make sure I got the ending I wanted. Why do I feel less than heroic?

Spunior

It took me abut 5-6 days. Of course, I currently don't have much time to play and see how some make it faster. Length was okay for me plus there's some replay value in the game. Of course, in a case like this there never can be such a thing as 'enough' levels since Gish isn't the type of game one would get tired off. (Whereas an RPG, for instance, can drag on for too long.)

tyroney

I've beat it now.  The scariest part is if you've met girls like that.

Is the other ending any funner?  

And now I can begin finding all the secrets and collecting all the amber...

Jonathan_NL

Everything you mention is simply physics. There are some strange things that can happen, but you didn't mention any of them.
I rarely check this forum anymore. Feel free to send me a PM if you want my attention.

dirk1134

Speaking of enough levels, has anyone found the secret levels yet? I've been looking all over for them, but it's no good. Can't find them.

Tyroie

The last level of the Church episode before the bosses is what held me back. Of course I found the freaking extra life at the start of the level on the very same life that I got past it. =p

Some parts confusing  
other parts just fun   
some so fustratin! eg, ilse of the dead  
http://www.pontifex2.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif" border="0" valign="absmiddle" alt=':angry:'>
well, if u add all the times up... id say?... what? 12 hours max!

Shinryuu

The first secret level is in the sewers, I found it by accident.
I'm still on Rapture, but i have had alot of work to do, so i've pretty much been playing in my lunch break (not good for productivity http://www.pontifex2.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif" border="0" valign="absmiddle" alt='???'> ) I got stuck on the plains of hehenna for a while... but shouldnt it go Egypt, Hell, Heaven?
Anyway, could you keep us posted on the level editor? I think thats what were all hanging out for ;)

Org

I read somewhere that when you beat the game and get your name in yellow it opens up level skip, is this true? and if so how? http://www.pontifex2.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif" border="0" valign="absmiddle" alt=':)'>

Jacius

I beat Gish (that is, defeated the final boss) the day after I got it (I got stuck on the Planes for a while), perhaps 10-15 hours play time. I had a lot of practice maneuvering Gish playing the demo, so I didn't need to get used to his unique way of moving around. I then beat it again to get a better ending, which took only 2 or 3 hours.

Still, it took me many many lives, and I don't think I've gotten any of the secret levels or much of that fun stuff. I'm going to play through again and see if I can beat the game without killing Hera, as a good half of the ending deals with her. The problem will probably be stopping her from following me and thus accidently falling into the lava.

As many other people have said, a level editor would be very, very cool. And, the collision detection does seem a little bit off; perhaps Gish is simply too relaxed (that is, not very tense http://www.pontifex2.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif" border="0" valign="absmiddle" alt=':;):'>), so he goes flat too easily. I was pretty disappointed at how easily Hera could squish me just by running into me while heavy (you can of course counter by going heavy yourself). It never seemed to do less than 100 hp damage.

I was a little disappointed that there were only 2 kinds of enemies. As much fun as it is to judo-fling the little ones into a wall and watch them splat, or to squeeze myself between the ceiling and a big one and then apply a little pressure... I would have liked to see more variety. Perhaps some sort of air-borne enemy, or one that could climb walls?

The bosses were also somewhat disappointing, definitely less challenging than the normal levels. That's not to say that I didn't lose a few lives fighting them, but beating them was too simple, usually just one action. And, there were three bosses that basically just spat out little enemies at you until you squashed them! I would like to see bosses that:

A) are very different from the normal enemies;
B) require skillfully manipulating the environment to defeat (for example, swing a block on a chain into a wall to break it and release a boulder that would break a hole through the floor, instead of just breaking a rope to drop a block down and break a hole through the floor); and
C) have several different attacks that they would use depending on where you were (maybe they would jump up and pound the ground to try to shake you loose from the ceiling, or toss a rock up at you, instead of just waiting directly beneath you for you to come down on your own; you could use this against them somehow, perhaps making them pound the ground on a weak spot so they would fall down into lava, or use the boulder to hold down a switch).

All that said, Gish has perhaps the most interesting and versatile,  yet largely impotent hero of any game I've seen! http://www.pontifex2.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif" border="0" valign="absmiddle" alt=':laugh:'>

-Jacius

weeble

Quote (Shinryuu @ May 27 2004,8:25)
The first secret level is in the sewers, I found it by accident.

Does it count as a secret in the count at the end of the level? I think I've only one of those left to find in the Sewers, but I've not yet found a secret level.

I also found what looks like a Bridge Construction Set box on one of the Rapture levels. Does it do anything, or do you just look at it?

budgiedood

I completed it in about 4-5 hours.
Got 4 warp zones now, Pitfall is fun!
level skip is F and R where it shows you what level you are going to be doing, and you click on start.
The new patch has broken the F, which is back a level tho  http://www.pontifex2.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif" border="0" valign="absmiddle" alt=':('>

blob

yeah i completely agree with you !
i was thinking exactly the same thing about the lack of variety of ennemies and the disappointing bosses!
but the problem is that AI is very complicated to program and u can see through the game that most ennemies will usually run toward you ( the big ennemies even kill themselves while only walking when the roof is too low)
but it would be fun to have bosses that u ll had to defeat by throwing rock on it. its always fun to have gish squeeze then jump to throw rocks at max speed ^^
long range ennemies could be interesting too.
but i doubt all those things will be added someday.