News:

Zatikon is back and free to play! https://www.chroniclogic.com/zatikon.htm

Main Menu

Gish on Sony PSP?

Started by L etranger, September 28, 2004, 04:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonathan_NL

Quote (Spunior @ Sep. 28 2004,1:06)
Are those consoles actually powerful enough to handle the physics?

... and the CPU of that one (Emotion Engine) is a number cruncher for the required calculations. ...
Now you're talking about tuning for specific hardware... the G4 (in Macs) has a VERY powerful vector execution unit, but they don't use it.
I rarely check this forum anymore. Feel free to send me a PM if you want my attention.

L etranger

If chronilogic revamp Gish for the Sony PSP with extended content, and use the multiplayer possibility of the small console, the game could come to be a new reference in platform game.
The PSP has big change to be popular, and Gish is the perfect type of game for this market.

Just my 2 cent ;)

dirk1134

I think that this game would even be awesome one the big three (PS2, Game Cube, XBox). Imagine playing Gish on the TV with a PS2 controller ^^ (Well.. technically you could, with a TV out and PS2 controller adapter) but you know what I mean. The audience it would reach would be much greater too. If you could find a publisher... It's not really that simple though ^^

FraGNeMeSiS

Gish makes LOADS of sense on a handheld.

The developers would be crazy to pass that up.

Spunior

The PSP easily is, the GBA most certainly isn't. The hardware of the former system is comparable to the PS2, and the CPU of that one (Emotion Engine) is a number cruncher for the required calculations. And the graphics wouldn't be much of a problem anyway.

The problem is not the hardware of the system, it's that software development for consoles costs more than it takes to develop a comparable PC title. If you want a PC game, all you need is a PC (and a software environment of your choice). For consoles you'd be required to purchase some form of dev kit first. In addition to that comes another phenomenon - license fees. For each unit sold Chronic Logic has to pay a certain amount of money to the platform owner - no matter if we're talking about Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo here. Which means, it lowers CL's profits or requires them to sell the game at a higher price.

Not to forget one thing: eletronic distribution of software, particularly games, has yet to reach consoles. CL wouldn't be able to sell and distribute let's say a PSP title on their own (for download), they'd be dependent on retail chains and e-shops selling boxed units. And those aren't very indie-friendly.

madd-dawgg

Why wait for PSP? I bet the GBA could handle it. Although, porting this to PSP or GBA would probably be very difficult. Plus, licensing etc. If it was ported to GBA, I'd buy it in a heart beat.

Jonathan_NL

And what's playing Gish on a fuzzy lowres flickering nearly 16 KHz tone emitting totally not color-correct (it might be almost completely black, or actually relatively bright gray!) television compared to playing it on a highres TFT?
I rarely check this forum anymore. Feel free to send me a PM if you want my attention.

madd-dawgg

Not meaning to put words into anyone's mouths, I think he was referring to the novelty not the advantage of it. It would be cool to see a game evolve from its infantile PC hardcore-gamer stages to its adulthood every-family-has-one PS2 life.