News:

Zatikon is back and free to play! https://www.chroniclogic.com/zatikon.htm

Main Menu

Intentional collapse

Started by nevarmore, November 18, 2001, 04:38:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brinx

Hmm, this gives me a new idea for a future version: You could be able to specify which joints can rotate freely (like the BB joints) instead of being "reinforced" without you wanting it. This could probably be combined with the feature to manually select individual links and delete them (You know, the case of the 4-links-broken-when-the-train-still-has-to-pass-over-but-are-otherwise-fine bridges). This doesn't put any more stress on the physics engine (it functions fine when simulating a collapsing, asymmetric bridge) and allows for nice constructions with movable hinges. Also "hanging", clean bridges could be built this way. I am convinced this is a simple thing to implement. What do you say, CL?

nevarmore

Ok I was fiddling with having the train run into a vertical section of deck with no support. As the deck was falling to horizontal, I thought about designing a drawbridge using a similar idea. All attempts doing longer spans failed. The first demo level using a horizontal run of heavy steel between anchor points, an 8 grid space long vertical section of deck, and cables form each deck plate junction to the right anchor point almost worked.

Has anyone else attempted a similar project? Anyone have levels that would be good to work with this on?

Thanks for your help.

falkon2

Currently, the budget is counted by the length of the single bars in edit mode, and only are converted to the multiple links when the bridge is tested. Modifying the edit system to add the ability to remove sub-links will:

1) Make the files much larger
2) Screw most of the records/budgets
3) Make the game needlessly complex (though this one is open to debate)

mendel

Excerpt from my post on the  http://www.chroniclogic.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard/topic.cgi?forum=6&topic=18&start=30" target="_blank">pre-tensioning thread:  (Please reply on that thread, since the "Next Version Ideas" forum is more suited to this kind of discussion.) If the members were still pin-jointed as they were in BB, the sag would not induce much extra stress, so instead of demanding prestressed cables, we could instead demand a no-diagonals beam (demanded elsewhere on this forum as well, if I recall). I dub this "swinging bar".

Swinging bars could be easily implemented as a new material type without changing the current file format, and it could even use the same colors now used for light and heavy steel.

Sarterixa

It costs a lot of money, but you can do it by putting a LOT of heavy steel supports on the bottom to drag the bridge down and then hold it up.  Having it drop on its own will break the cables.

mendel

Idea (untested): If the "hinge" of the drawgridge was not on the shore, but on a ramp above the water, could a counterweight be used to make it drop more slowly?
[There is a (quite old) bridge type used in the Netherlands that has the counterweight on  a seperate hinged beam above the bridge).
Perhaps the counterweight holds the drawbridge up until the train pushes it down - that way, the drawbridge would rise up again when the train has passed!!!
The hinge would need to be supoprted by cable only so it can rotate. And you might need to adjust the engine force (short train = weak engine, long train=string engine; easy=little momentum=small "crash", hard=huge momentum=hard impact).
Gee, I have all this before my inner eye now, I to try it right now....

Great Idea!

nevarmore

id like to but i found another solution and waxed the falling idea. i will attempt to descrobe it.

it was a 300meter+ span and a 10 car train making 4 passes and both directions. there were anchor points at both sides of the rails but that was all. suspeneded designs all over stresses the supports, even with a counterweight of heavy steel. most of my arch desgins faield as well. what i was trying to do was build a bridge anchored on one end with legs to rest on the river bottom to support the central spans without having anchor points. making it fall into place with cables or light steel to get it to go the right driection. the problem i ran into was that the deck rarely lined up enough to allow the train across, and the water level was right at the precipice of the rails.

mendel

http://www.pontifex.mendelsohn.de/forum/drawbrg.pxl" target="_blank">http://www.pontifex.mendelsohn.de/forum/drawbridge.gif" border="0">
Be sure to set Difficulty to Medium, and run a 1 car train after the bridge is fully raised.

Physics Bug fans should watch the link box that ends up lying on the ground, unevenly stressed!

beaujob

Nevarmore, you should post the bridge you described, I can't quite make out your description, and I'd like to see what you're talking about.
"And once again, the day is saved thanks to the Powerpuff Girls."

mendel

Just click on the image to download the bridge file.
It's done using nested URL and IMG ikoncode tags.