News:

Zatikon is back and free to play! https://www.chroniclogic.com/zatikon.htm

Main Menu

key-problem

Started by szer0, May 30, 2004, 08:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

szer0

I installed the game on 3 computers, and now i had to reformat one of them, and it says i have to buy a new activation key... why is it like that, i mean, i was bound to reformat sooner or later.. so do i have to buy the game again or what?

FraGNeMeSiS

Good question.  They seem a bit over-protective of piracy.

Guys at Chronic Logic, if people love your game (like we do), they'll pay for it.

And if they really want to steal it, well, they'll always be able to do that, too.

So it really only hurts those who legitimately purchased your game.

szer0

Well, maby, there should be a warning that if you reformat, your days with gish are numbered.

dirk1134

yes.. i was wondering the same thing. I actually like putting games on CDs that I buy online, so i can install them any time if anything happens. i don't like the idea of the 'registering online' or having to check your 'unique key' manually either. That makes it so you must go to their website to activate it... which is a bit silly. People probably will hack the program and distribute it eventually, of course. Those people will even have the luxury of being able to back it up, but here I am, a registered customer, not able to do something like that.

On a tangent, I've been screwed by copy protection for games I bought twice so far this month... Once by Operation Flashpoint and Beyond Divinity have both told me I'm a pirate (in a less direct manner) despite having bought the games at respectable retailers. I have virus scanned with Norton, cleaned adware with Adaware and Spybot, and my CD-ROM works perfectly. I just am tired of being treated like a pirate. People who illegally download games certainly don't have to deal with these issues. It's not fair, and I think that something should change

Chronic Logic

If you re-install Gish on the same computer, you should not have a problems with registration.  If you do have problems please contact support through e-mail and I am sure we can work it out.

Setanta

I hate this authentication system http://www.pontifex2.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif" border="0" valign="absmiddle" alt=':('> I do fairly regular reformats of my system, currently I'm working on how best to tweak XP SP2 and sometimes I do it just to get a cleaner install that allows me to smooth out how games run.

My issue is that I purchased the game, yet I'm penalised for it. I appreciate Josiah going out of his way to reset the block on me re-activating the game every time I email him, but I'm starting to feel like I'm imposing every time I do it. In fact, I just deleted the game off my system, writing it off as a waste of money due to this system of registration.

I actively support shareware companies, I don't pirate games and yet I am left feeling as if I'm in the wrong. The game is a brief diversion now and then, but for ease of registration/use it sucks - in the time I stuff around with it, I could have Soldat (also purchased, but with a simpler, better system) up and running. In fact, I just have to apply the registry entry for soldat and away it goes. I just purchased Norton's Antivirus 2004 online - registration doesn't mess me around like this.

Doing a rough check, I have quite a few thousand dollars worth of games sitting on my shelves (Aussie dollars that is). All of them purchased, in some cases 4x the cost of Gish. None of them pirated (nor is anything on my system), none of them shared with others. Yet the Chronic Logic/Gish registration system makes me sick to the stomach every time I have to email out for a reset. While it sounds stupid, it almost feels like I have to beg to play a game that I supported http://www.pontifex2.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif" border="0" valign="absmiddle" alt=':('>

On a side note, I thought I'd be smart and do the offline rego with the unique number/codes etc. On my current install (last 2 hours), the unique id changed, making my carefully recorded codes useless. No hardware was changed whatsoever. Once again I'm locked out.

I'd like to say it's a great game. It is. But it's no longer on my drive because of this system. I understand that Chronic Logic don't want to lose sales through piracy - that's perfectly rational. But I don't know that I'd ever purchase another game from anyone, commercial or shareware etc, if it employs this system. To say I'm disappointed would be an understatement.

Actually, disappointment is a certain time - as when I mentioned this situation to a friend, he told me that there ways past the auth process. I don't have theft as part of my philosophy so I wont look for it, I'll just put the game aside. So basically the pirates win and the legitimate purchasers of the game lose. http://www.pontifex2.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif" border="0" valign="absmiddle" alt=':('>

To the development team; thanks for a great game - I was just starting to get into it and was enjoying it as a diversion from mainstream games. I just wish I could be bothered with the installation process.

My first post - I wish it could have been more positive.

Chronic Logic - Alex

I don't think our registration system is unreasonable, if you are reinstalling on the same hard drive you don't need a new activation key.  If you don't want to have to re-register just copy the gish.rg file before you format and put it in the gish directory after you reinstall.  It is unfortunate that we have to use this system, but we probably have at least 10 people steal our games for every 1 person that buy them, so we have to do something.

Setanta

Ah... I didn't know that  http://www.pontifex2.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif" border="0" valign="absmiddle" alt='???'>

Thanks Alex http://www.pontifex2.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif" border="0" valign="absmiddle" alt=':)'>

I do understand the reasoning for it, it just frustrates me. Could I ask, would me changing the drive from a 60gig partition designated D: to a 120gig physical device designated D: invalidate the key? IE: my old D: partition becomes E: drive and the new D: drive is now the brand new drive that I've added to the system.

It might explain why I started to get frustrated with it all.

If anything, my frustration comes from the need for protection - but I do understand that not all people are honest.

Chronic Logic - Alex

Yeah changing the order of the drives will change the hardware ID.  I don't like copy protection either, but I think this way is better than having to insert the CD everytime you play.

tobiaspb

Hi.

I Love GISH!, but I probably wouldn't have bought it if I knew it had this registration scheme.

This is one of the major reasons i recently switched from Windows to Linux altogether (along with a long list of other topics).

I register all the software I use but stay away from this kind of registrations that I feel invades my privacy and my ability to use my investment if you should go belly up in the future.

I hope you will reconsider and don't make it hard for your legitimate users. I like simplicity and all the other shareware applications and games I have just needs a keycode. GISH! is the only exception because I didn't check good enough first.

What makes it even worse is that after i patched to the 1.3 version I can't play at all because you have done something to the registration so that I can't enter alpha characters, why do I have to re-register at all?

- Pablo 2k

Chronic Logic - Josiah

The problem is you have the Garage Games version of Gish and you installed the Chronic Logic Patch.  This will not work.  The Garage Games version of the patch will be availible from their web site soon.

tobiaspb

Hi.

I wasn't aware of the difference, thanks. :-) I installed v1.2 and it now works again.

Two nights ago I played GISH! until my thumb went all soar, I had to stop because of my physical thumb condition.

:-D