News:

Zatikon is back and free to play! https://www.chroniclogic.com/zatikon.htm

Main Menu

Problems running new install of Gish

Started by contrarybear, December 21, 2004, 11:30:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

contrarybear

Hi, I just purchased Gish after playing the demo and am having major troubles getting it to run playably.  
I have a Dell Pentium 3 machine, 1.5 GHz, 512 MB RAM, with a 32 MB GeForce2 GTS video card, running Windows ME.

Problem is, whenever I start Gish, as soon as the first level (or play area) begins, the frame rate slows down to something like 1 frame every 5 seconds.  The music is choppy and task-switching out is difficult.  I usually have to reboot to get out of it.  Soooooooooo ...

I turned off the music and sound.  No change in behavior.
I played with the video settings.  Didn't help.
I got the latest NVidia drivers.  No change.
Right after I had installed Gish, I uninstalled the demo.  I thought this might have accidentally erased something important, so I re-installed the demo (which still works absolutely fine), but no change in Gish's performance.
I installed the special Omega drivers mentioned in http://www.pontifex2.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=28;t=598" target="_blank">this thread.  No change.
I uninstall and reinstall Gish.  No change.
I step away from the computer and make myself a giant potato pancake.  Still no change in Gish.

I find it quite curious that the demo works but the real game does not ... I am on the verge of trying something bogus like using the demo's gish.exe in the full game's environment.  The only other odd thing was that when I first tried to register Gish, it locked up, because my firewall (ZoneAlarm) must have tried to pop up a dialog asking me if it was okay to dial out, but Gish wouldn't switch out.  I had to reboot and manually enter gish.exe in ZoneAlarm's list of allowed programs, and registration then worked fine.

Any ideas?

Chronic Logic - Josiah

Try some of the collection levels, do all the levels go just as slow, or is it just some levels?

contrarybear

I tried four collection levels and all seemed just as slow: choppy music (if I had it on), and even with me pressing keys it always said "Get Ready".  I could press A and see Gish get sticky a few seconds later, but couldn't make it move ...

Chronic Logic - Josiah

Does the Gish demo still run fine after you updated your video drivers?  Have you tried any other versions of video drivers?

contrarybear

The demo runs perfectly fine with either the updated NVidia drivers or the latest ones from Omega.  The full game seems to run equally poorly with both.  I haven't tried any other versions of video drivers; do you mean previous versions of the official drivers, or mods from a different source?

I'm beginning to wonder if the video drivers (which seemed like the obvious choice at first) are not at fault.  Could it be a memory issue?  I would guess the full version has a bigger footprint than the demo.  I have 200-250 MB of RAM free.

contrarybear

Nah, I don't reckon it's memory -- I freed up more RAM, with no change in results.

Chronic Logic - Josiah

You should have plenty of memory to run Gish, I dont see that being the problem.  Is the mouse slow when moving around the menus (is the game slow before you start to play it?)

contrarybear

Nope, I don't believe so -- I only notice a slowdown when a mission starts.  My subjective impression is that it does take my full installation of Gish longer to load a level (i.e. the time between I click "Start" and it actually starts) than the demo installation does.

I going away on holiday but will be back in a week or so to keep troubleshooting -- thanks much for your past (& future) efforts to help me, have some good hollies, and I will respond again in January.  Cheers!

contrarybear

I am back ...
I just tried to install Gish on my work computer (where I am confident it would work) but got an Invalid Key error upon registration -- ah well.  I can't complain -- I'm a developer as well and we do a similar thing with our security system.

I will try more different video drivers when I get home tonight.

Chronic Logic - Josiah

An Invalid key error means you probably entered it incorrectly, if it had been activated to many times it would give you a different message.  Also firewalls can cause the registration to fail, but you can still use the offline registration and it should work fine.  If you want me to check on our keycode just send me and e-mail with your order number, or keycode.

contrarybear

Gotcha, must have been the firewall (I tried it three times, thinking I'd made a typo).  I will try the offline registration then ...

contrarybear

Yep, works fine on my work computer.
Thanks for all the help!  I reckon if/when I get around to upgrading Windows on my home computer, that might fix it there.  Until then, I am more than content to play it here when I need a break.

SimpleLizard

You should have went in to the gish options and put it at 16bit, it should work if you do. (It worked for me) ;D
I have no siggy :P