News:

Zatikon is back and free to play! https://www.chroniclogic.com/zatikon.htm

Main Menu

Level with "New monsters"

Started by Briran, October 28, 2004, 02:45:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Briran

http://brainofbrian.150m.com/Brian/TheUnder1.html" target="_blank">http://brainofbrian.150m.com/Brian/TheUnder1.html

There is also a txt file of the same name.
The website gives me errors when i try to upload zip files.

For those of you who cant wait look down..

The 2 monsters are called skull bashers because they are 4 skull blocks attached with pistons to a wheel, only the bigger one is dangerous but the small one can still kill monsters.

Pigbuster

Those skull things are... wierd... it DOES seem like they have a mind of their own, so I guess it's alright to call them "monsters."
This levels alright. There are its faults, though. The biggest is that I didn't know where to go all the time. Levels being open are good, but this felt almost TOO open. I just decided, "I'll go up. That seems right." The big room of enemies was confusing too. How was I supposed to know that I was supposed to go to the top of the room to open the door? Remember that area switches aren't the only switches you have! Use other ones to show the player where to go. I also felt the secrets were a bit obvious. The first one you come across you can see right there! You can see the lines of the passageway too.
Here are the main types of secrets that I think work:

1) Most of them should be hidden away from the beaten path. If you go along you won't notice a thing. If you find a secret passage you can follow it to a secret room. This room has no foreground covering, alowing you to see the objects inside and the entrance to the exit passageway. When going on the main road, you will see nothing of the passage, entrance, or secret room. This is the most used secret.
2) You can also have a covered secret. These are right along the main road, and you cannot remove the foreground, for it will be shown, and you cannot make a passage, for the player wouldn't be able to know where to go. These secrets are usually just a room covered by a foreground. The objects inside are in a straight line that is natural for the player to go through, for if they weren't, they'd have no way to know about them. These secrets are easy to get out of. You might go out the way you came, or go out another way. This isn't all that easy to explain...
3) A difficult secret is next. These aren't really "secret," you can see them, but they are tough to get to. They are mostly around lava pits in the main game.

There can be exceptions to these, of course, but I think that these are the ones that really work. My number one rule about secrets though, is to be wary of the lighting. In your level, the torches give off the walls of one of your secrets, showing the way up. the way to solve this is by putting foreground over the tiles the light is shining on. This still isn't foolproof, though, as the light won't shine on those tiles, just the ones around them. Then you could add breakable tiles with a 0.001 breakpoint... and its done. I dont know if thats what you were going for or what. Maybe you don't like your secrets to be all that "secret". The way I solve this is that I don't just put secrets every which way, I put them in areas that might seem suspicious to the player. Then they can find it themselves! This replay isn't just pointed at you. It's mostly pointed at anyone that wants to make secrets.
Despite my big fat criticizm post, this levels alright. http://www.pontifex2.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif" border="0" valign="absmiddle" alt=':p'>
How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop?
The world may never know...
BUT I WILL! HAHAHAHAHA!
And don't think I'll tell any of YOU!
------------------------
I remain the only person on this forum that signed up for their account in rhyme. FEAR ME!

Pretty good level you got there... That Skull Basher is freaky!

Wow thats pretty cool, I like it!