News:

Zatikon is back and free to play! https://www.chroniclogic.com/zatikon.htm

Main Menu

I'm really disappointed.

Started by Calastigro, January 26, 2002, 06:45:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Calastigro

ChronicLogic, I'm disappointed in you.  You promised contests, activity, and generally fun when I bought Pontifex, and now, the 25 of January, 2002, the latest news is of the 30th of October of last year.  I want more contests, and more to the point: More content.  Map packs.  Come on.  We paid our ฤ.  Keep up your end.

benski

I agree that ฤ is a very small price to pay for a game so good. And I agree that maybe Chronic Logic expected more buyers. But as a paying customer, I did not ask for updates or contests, they were promised to us. Maybe Chronic Logic is busy working on the sequel, or working on updates. About a month ago I emailed them and asked if more things were in the works, and guess what? No reply. It seems to me that this game and website has been abandoned by everyone but the people who really matter, the players. I would like to thank Chronic Logic for a great game, but don't expect me to buy the next one.

Maddog

im gettin angry too.. for 20 bucks i expected a bit more. the game is great, i just want updates!

kosh

"Babylon 5 was the last of the Babylon stations. There would never be another. It changed the future .. and it changed us. It taught us that we have to create the future .. or others will do it for us. It showed us that we have care for one another, because if we don't, who will? And that true strength sometimes comes from the most unlikely places. Mostly, though, I think it gave us hope .. that there can always be new beginnings .. even for people like us."

Edison Lin

oh my god....
I bought Pontifex today...
Am I cheated?

PaulMdx

I think CL did promise a lot for buying Pontifex.  ฤ is a reasonable price, even with the lack of updates to the website though.

What's more annoying is that if CL weren't intending to update it though, it's basically false advertising to sell Pontifex mentioning their fantastic member's area.

A couple of people seem to have a lot of sympathy for CL for not updating the website.  It was their choice to write the software, and offer the service and product they do.  Any company, regardless of the size, has a responsability to live up to their marketing pitch.

Paul.

Frish

y;know, when you quit your job and spend hours and dollers designing a great game, have it get an award from a review website (even if the site is a bit off the beaten trail) and then have interest limited to about, id say, close to a hundred players, then you get depressed and apathetic.  i wouldn't know firsthand, of course, but still, have a little sympathy.  for however long it took to design the game they expected more than what they got.  beat up everyone you know and force them to buy pontifex, then we will see about getting angry.
Iffen you are a homeworld fan, check out this here site 'o mine:http://www.trivsflux.8m.com

Juhis

####, I registered the game 15 minutes ago and this is the first topic I've read  http://www.pontifex2.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif" border="0" valign="absmiddle" alt=':('>   I've played the full game through already (copied it) and I thought to register such a nice game as a support for the makers of it. Maybe I should've sticked with the copied one...

tombs

Considering the (although I cannot confirm) small customer base, zero advertising budget, non instore presence and lack of guns, chroniclogic should be praised for such a great game becoming available to the public.Developing a game is an extremely time consuming process. without backers and marketing hype, returns on sales are low.ฤ is a reasonable amount to pay for a game without EXPECTING addons.
Most popular gaming communities(Half-Life) breed their own interest and spawn Mods such as Counter Strike.
In the same way, private individuals should realize that they too have the ability to initiate Pontifex map packs etc to aid in the games community expansion.

mendel

Nope, it's okay to support CL... after all, the game is good (and so was Bridge Builder, which didn't get them a thin dime)!

Gray

I agree with Frish (though we don't really know what the problem is). But nevertheless, another contest would somewhat resurrect the community IMO and it's not THAT much work... Maybe I should do one myself... Hmmm... anyone like the idea? I can't provide prizes as gigantic as CL's (Eternal life), but ####, I even got a forum where I can assign member titles ;)
http://www.bridgebuilder-game.com" target="_blank">http://www.bridgebuilder-game.com
Shut up, Brain, or I'll stab you with a Q-tip! -- Homer Simpson

Andy24

This game is definitly worth it and with the forums there is no doubt about it. :biggrin:

The sad thing is, if CL are relying on word-of-mouth to sell this game they're doing themselves no favours whatsoever. Repeated problems with the website, forum, ordering of the game, announcements of forthcoming updates and competitions that never materialise, and general lack of communication with registered players is not the way to build up a good reputation.

I agree, support the little guy!

When I first played Bridge Builder it was a game that was just over 300kb and I was having a blast.  Heck its the first game my father actually got a kick out of when I sent it to him (and he's not the gamer type).

Although I'd love more additions/contests/etc, I am glad I paid the ฤ.  However I think that the developers could have been a little more honest, perhaps stating that they had been a little wrong about how much time they could invest.

Chillum stated: "if CL are relying on word-of-mouth to sell this game they're doing themselves no favours whatsoever."

Also the fact the the game fits on one floppy doesn't help.  If someone was to recomend the game to a friend, it's just too easy to give them a copy of the full version. (provided they just want to play it and not use the forum)
I have no friends, so I wouldn't know about this first hand, but am I right?