News:

Zatikon is back and free to play! https://www.chroniclogic.com/zatikon.htm

Main Menu

Just Started

Started by Whiterabbit, November 22, 2006, 01:30:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whiterabbit

Hi I'm a new starter with arcade games as I've been gripped by First Person Shooters for the past several years.  I'm getting a little jaded by the constant killing though so have been developing an interest in the smaller arcade games, having spent £100's on break out/ arkanoid games this year, I thought I'd try another genre, and stumbled upon Gish.  I only downloaded the demo out of curiosity several months ago, but my kids took over and I though nothing more about it.  The demo was deleted a month later when  I had to do  a full format on my system.  The kids kept asking after the game, but none of us remembered the name of the game, lol. thankfully I saw it in one of the big download sites and downloaded it last week, and finally got a chance to play the game and loved it, so bought a registered copy right away.  I was intrigued by the levels editor, but couldn't work out how to start building, so I thought, there's got to be a fan site.  There always is when you get a levels editor;  Well from my experience any way (see the reflexive sponspred fan site for the Arkanoid classic Richochet; which has nearly 700 level sets, some of which have a hundred or more separate levels within them, making a staggering total probably over 10 000 levels.)  I didn't expect to find so many with Gish though because it doesn't seem well represented on the download sites, which is a great shame, because the game play is highly addictive, fun and sometimes exciting too.

I hope to eventually build some levels, but as I've mentioned elsewhere, it takes me a long time to actually get started.  There seems to be a lack of a decent level editor help document.  I've noticed that there are loads of useful articles spread around the forums, and the mention of a text file for the editor within the program.  I was wondering, if the Gish community wouldn't mind if I tried to put together a more useful document, using the information that has been posted on these forums.  maybe with a decent manual, more of the community will be inclined to make new levels.

Again it will take me time as I'm still working on a very large review of  all the singleplayer maps available  for the Battlefield 2 game.  Which although near completion, still has a lot of hyper links and screen shots to add before it's finally uploaded.  It's approaching 800 pages long, however I doubt the Gish document will get so large, lol.

later folkes

White Rabbit

Jonathan_NL

Feel free to use material from my posts in your manual. If you have any questions to test my memory, just ask. Testing my memory because I haven't been able to run Gish for a while due to circumstances, and I still can't.

800 pages!?
I rarely check this forum anymore. Feel free to send me a PM if you want my attention.

Whiterabbit

Thanks, that's appreciated.  
The 800 pg review covers hundreds of map, so with a screenshot of the battlefield, with descriptions, download links and possible tactics to either stay alive or win, you can see why it's so long.  I'm adding an help section so that those less computer friendly can improve system spec's so as to run more bots on each map as well as a wealth of other info.  I won't go on about it though as it's not Gish, lol.

I hope you will be able to get it working again soom man.  I wont ask for any explanation though as it does sound personal.  Thanks for all you're replies.  It looks like there's still some life left in this fantastic game afterall.  Can you explain why it's not available from most download sites? It seems crazy as it's such a good  and unusual game. And with the addition of an editor, there's so much potential to expand the game into other realms.  such as the 'Journey to the Centre of the Earth' idea I mentoned elsewhere.

THANKS

Rabbit

Jonathan_NL

Ah. Let's just hope that the less experienced are willing to read 800 pages.

Broken hardware isn't really personal. I just installed it on a temporary computer that should be reasonably fast, and it appears that there was at least one activation left. So I can actually run it for now. http://pontifex2.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif" border="0" valign="absmiddle" alt=':)'>

I don't know why it's not on many download sites.
I rarely check this forum anymore. Feel free to send me a PM if you want my attention.