News:

Zatikon is back and free to play! https://www.chroniclogic.com/zatikon.htm

Main Menu

Secret Tactics

Started by Sword King 22, September 01, 2006, 01:57:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sword King 22

Here are some secret kill tactics:

Gimper scamps: If they are in a row get Gish between them and the wall and go heavy. It should kill all of them.

Sisters: You can actually push the sisters into the lava by yourself(tip: get a running start).

Honey Bucket: If you keep your balance you can stand on top of them wihout taking damage.

If you have more, post them.
Where I fire three arrows, three men will fall.

Jonathan_NL

My general-purpose 'strategy' is simply to crush everything. If that doesn't work more is involved.
I rarely check this forum anymore. Feel free to send me a PM if you want my attention.

Sword King 22

Ah, but you see, these are tactics for the high scorer and speed runner, which are useful for shortcuts and combos. http://pontifex2.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif" border="0" valign="absmiddle" alt=':cool:'>
Where I fire three arrows, three men will fall.

Whiterabbit

I'm new to these forums.  Having been too involved in FPS games for the past several years, I'm only now rediscovering the world of arcade games.  I've spent £100's on Arkanoid games, but thought I'd branch out and try others.  This one caught me off guard and I've been bitten.  my kids of 6 and nearly 8 really love it to.  so hopefully I'll be able to start making sence of the Gish levels editor.  I'm hoping to make some levels, but that'll be a while coming as i tend to spend far too long thinking about it before I actually start.  I need a break from the killing in FPS, in particularily, America's Army and Battlefield 2.  So I'll be visiting these forums a lot over the coming months.
It does look very quiet here, so i hope I get an indication that there is still some experienced level makers out there, (I hope) as no doubt I'll have questions to ask once things get underway.

WR

PS I'm red Green color blind so find some of the colored posts really hard to see. lol

Jonathan_NL

I am still around here, although I've been quite passive for a while. I have answered editor questions almost immediately after the editor was released, and I have made some of the more unusual creations. Does that make me experienced with the editor?

I've been wondering for a while what it's like to be color blind. I understand the theory, but that can't get me much further than not being able to distinguish between colors on what I'll call color blindness lines, or making color blindness test images.
I rarely check this forum anymore. Feel free to send me a PM if you want my attention.

Whiterabbit

Quote (Jonathan_NL @ Dec. 05 2006,1:18)
I am still around here, although I've been quite passive for a while. I have answered editor questions almost immediately after the editor was released, and I have made some of the more unusual creations. Does that make me experienced with the editor?

I've been wondering for a while what it's like to be color blind. I understand the theory, but that can't get me much further than not being able to distinguish between colors on what I'll call color blindness lines, or making color blindness test images.

It's no big deal really.  And yes you are obviously a community member that i'll be asking lots of questions, some pertinent and some probably stupid.  I hope that you will give me input on the proposed update to the manual that I've proposed and already made a very slow start on. Any useful information about anything Gish, whether it's advice on movement through the levels, using vehicles and making them as well as the in's and out's of the Gish editor, secrets and anything else remtely Gish.

What for example is your opinion on whether or not I should designe a new level in the spirit of the graphics as they stand now, or something a little more photo realistic.  I am a noob at Gish as yet.  I still only spend a very small % of my time with Gish because of the other projects I'm working on, but hopefully most of these apart from beta testing maps for BF2 and 2142 will be completed by Spring time. From the first moment I loaded up the demo of Gish I new I was hooked and bought it right away.  I didn't know there was a whole bunch of fan made levels which was a big bonus.

WhiteRabbit

Jonathan_NL

Quote (Whiterabbit @ Dec. 23 2006,5:41)
It's no big deal really.  And yes you are obviously a community member that i'll be asking lots of questions, some pertinent and some probably stupid.  I hope that you will give me input on the proposed update to the manual that I've proposed and already made a very slow start on. Any useful information about anything Gish, whether it's advice on movement through the levels, using vehicles and making them as well as the in's and out's of the Gish editor, secrets and anything else remtely Gish.

Keep in mind that there are a few other reasonably knowledgeable people around. DaKiller has been around for a long time and still is AFAIK, and Josiah from Chronic Logic (yes, those responsible for this game) also regularly checks this forum. They can probably answer most questions. It's just that I seem to have some deep knowledge and often went farther (e.g. automatically generating levels).

Tips for beginners? Umm:
- Movement is something you normally get a feel for. Not much more to say as that's the way I went.
- Using vehicles: don't if you want fast times. If you have to use vehicles, try to keep the cycle of certain 'vehicles' (I count moving platforms here) in mind. If you arrive just before one leaves, improving on the part before it won't generally help you get better times. You're going to have to wait for the vehicle either way. Only if you're MUCH faster you might be able to catch it in an earlier cycle.
- Making powered vehicles: understanding pistons and how to combine them? So many possibilities. I won't elaborate here.
Quote (Whiterabbit @ Dec. 23 2006,5:41)
What for example is your opinion on whether or not I should designe a new level in the spirit of the graphics as they stand now, or something a little more photo realistic.

I was thinking more along the lines of the technical side, but OK. IMO it's best to stay with the current kind of graphics; I don't see photorealistic graphics fitting in this game, and it can't support anything near photorealism.