sound and graphics disabled in full version

Started by inle, November 14, 2007, 06:46:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inle

Recently purchased the full version; there is no music or sound effects whatsoever (though the tutorial and chapter screen voiceovers still work), and the buttons for sound and graphics in the options menu are blanked out.  Had previously installed the demo, and the sound worked just fine.  I'm using Vista.  Please help, great game!

Chronic Logic - Josiah

Hello Inle,

Can you get a screen capture of the options menu and post it?  The buttons under the Sound and Music are just blank with no text at all?  Can you still click on them?

inle

Sorry, I don't have any image hosting set up.  I'll try to describe it best I can: the Graphic Quality, Sound Volume, and Music Volume buttons are blank, no text, and do nothing when clicked.  They do highlight when moused over, though.  
The Blood toggle and Back buttons have text and work fine, as do the buttons in the main menu.  In-game there is absolutely no sound--no music, no battle noises, no spell sounds, no pause drumroll, no quips from characters, nothing.   There is also no music or sound in the menu screen, although I don't remember if there was any in the demo or not.
Hope this helps--I'll be checking back periodically.

Chronic Logic - Josiah

Did the demo work correctly for you?  Can you try uninstalling and re-installing the game.  After that the next step is to try updating your graphics card drivers and your sound drivers if possible.  What type of graphics card do you have?

inle

Reinstalled the game--sound and music work fine!  Thanks for your help!

inle

Okay, strike that.  Fired it up again, same problem.  Oddly, the sound and music worked in the initial start from the installation menu; I exited, wrote the above e-mail and started KET--no sound.  My sound card is a SigmaTel High Definition, it's fully updated.  Yes, the sound and music in the demo worked fine.  In the full version, the voiceover for the tutorial and the chapter screens still work.

Chronic Logic - Josiah

Try deleting the file "config.dat" that is in your "Kingdom Elemental" folder and then running the game.  Let me know what that does.

inle

Chronic Logic - Josiah

Since you are running Vista you probably need to delete that file from another location:

C:\Users\user name\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Kingdom Elemental\config.dat

Notice that "user name" is going to be your actual user name.  Let me know if that makes any difference.

inle

Okay, I deleted the VirtualStore config file.  KET didn't run, so I replaced it.

Chronic Logic - Josiah

right, it needs the file to start, it just sounds like maybe it is getting corrupted.  Try replacing it by unzipping this one into that same folder:

http://www.chroniclogic.com/next/config.zip" target="_blank">http://www.chroniclogic.com/next/config.zip

inle

Nailed it--everything works perfectly now.  Thanks a bunch!  You've been very helpful.

Chronic Logic - Josiah

Great news, please let me know if you have any other problems.