News:

Zatikon is back and free to play! https://www.chroniclogic.com/zatikon.htm

Main Menu

Gish Launcher in Ubuntu

Started by , January 24, 2008, 12:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hello everyone! This is a solution I found to create a launcher for Gish in the "games" menu on linux. I use Ubuntu, and I haven't tried it on other distributions, but if you're having the problems I'm about to describe, it might be worth trying.

Again, at least in Ubuntu, when I opened Gish from the installation directory in my home folder, everything was just fine. But for some reason, whenever I tried to create a launcher/shortcut to gish on the GNOME panel, the main menu or even the desktop, it started the game without sound and unplayable, everything black or gray with white rectangles where the game menu items should have been. Something bothered Gish while trying to open it from outside it's own directory, so I tried many things until I came out with a fairly simple script:

Create a new text file, either from the terminal, or just right click on your desktop or home folder or wherever you want to put that script into, and select "create document", then "empty file". (Again, I use GNOME, so the instructions may vary if you're using KDE or another desktop environment). In my case, I created the file on gish's directory. The new file will appear, just type the name you want to give it, Run Gish, for example. Finally, open the empty file and type the following:

Code Sample

#!/bin/bash/
cd /home/user_name/gish/
./gish

And replace "user_name" with your own user name. Save the file and close it.
Finally, right click on the file and go to the "permissions" tab and check the box that says "allow executing file as program".
Now, you can just create your shortcut/launcher and point it to this script. This way, it will be as if you started the game from it's own directory.

I hope this helps somebody!

Luis Jorge.

SimpleLizard

YOU CAME UP WITH THAT!!! wow, maybe i'll have to try that
I have no siggy :P

SimpleLizard

Edit: Ok, so it did work, but i had to edit the script file slightly, and made the following change(s)

#!/bin/bash/
cd /home/doodgie/gish/
./gish_64

The original script looked like this

#!/bin/bash/
cd /home/doodgie/gish/
./gish

If one doesn't work for you, try the other, and you should have a working script file, or link file ;)

fanneyjack

What difference makes gish_64

SimpleLizard

Nothing much, really. Gish_64 is just a version used on 64-Bit machines